90-91 Phazer 2 bog problem

herekittykittykitty

Hey guys i just picked up either a 90 or 91 phazer (vin starts with 87h). Previous owner said it had a bog off of idle but started and idled great. It starts almost instantly and idles great like he said. It will rev to about 4,000 and reach about 30mph. I have cleaned the carbs, looped the throttle overide wires, changed plugs and fuel, etc. still no go. I tried pulling plug wires with it running and the fan side will make the sled stall when removed while the other makes no difference. I have tons of spark from both plugs. I decided it must have worn rings on that far cylinder so I checked compression. To my amazement, the fan side is 130 and the far side is actually higher at 140. How can I have excellent compression and spark and be able to pull the wire off with no difference in rpms or anything????
Im lost at this point and am basically riding a sled on one cylinder that will start and idle great. it makes no sense to me but I usually deal with ski doos so I was thinking maybe you guys could help me think of anything. thanks, Doug

Too much fuel, or not enough to that cylinder would cause that. Remove the spark plug and pour about a shot glass full of gas into that cylinder. Put the plug in and start it and see what happens

I was wondering about that but that plug is always soaked when I pull it out. Too much fuel then? What would be my next step if im getting too much to that cylinder? Im not getting any backfires but it does seem to smoke a little much.

Make sure the choke plunger is seating in the carb and there is some play in the cable. The carb inlet needle may be leaking.
To test for a rich condition, take a pliers and squeeze the fuel line shut on the line into the carb. Run the sled on a stand and see if it starts firing on that side, it will have to run for a while to clear all the gas out.

I know it seems like alot of work but here is a few things to check crank seals base gaskets could be pushed out (go to a newer one piece gasket 88f prefix) check that the reeds are still good if it has boysens it may be time to replace them our race sleds need them every other year as they go bad and the sled loads up over half throttle try new plug caps and verify jetting is stock

Nutz

Back