Blown up Ovation

shimmy

Lads,

I blew up my 89 ovation on the weekend. I guess it overheated, as there is a pencil sized hole in the center of the piston head. How difficult is it to change the piston head?

Second question, if you were to sell the sled as is what would you charge. It is in good condition with a new seat, windshield, track and carbides. The sled ran awesome until it blew. It still runs on one piston.

Thanks any info would be great. I don't know what i should do with it.

Pistons are pretty easy to change. You'll want to change both pistons and put new rings. But you'll have to take the head off and inspect the cylinders first. They could be ok, but the one that overheated my need honing and potentially boring.

Start by taking the head off and inspect; maybe report back here with pictures...

Is $200 reasonable for it? I guess i was in fantasy land thinking i could sell it for $500 since everything else on it is new.

buy a piston and gasket kit on evilbay (once you check bores). odds are you could get it running again for $200.00. but if you go this road, make shure you check the crank seals and intake boot for air leaks so it does not do this again.

1. Just go and buy two new pistons and a full gasket kit including new crank seals.

2. Throw that funky "Teikei" carburettor in the trash can and put in an ordinary Mikuni VM-32/34 instead.

:2strokes:

Back