89 Ovation idles but no RPM on throttle

rowdydowney

Hi everyone, great information here...I have been back tracking for a few years worth of Ovation posts but haven't quite gotten the answer to my puzzle here. I am (hoping) to bring an '89 ovation back to life that hasn't run for 5 years but ran good before it was parked. I drained and cleaned the gas tank (best I could). I ran good, clean gas through all the gas lines and the little diaphram pump. New gas. I completely cleaned and blew out the carb (soaked it). It fires right up now and idles but when I give it throttle I am not getting any increased RPM's. The butterfly valves open but it acts like I am still not getting fuel...I actually cleaned that carb twice so I just don't think I still have deposits or any blockage and everything looks good.... I had a couple of questions...first, anyone got any idea on what to check next (this Carb seems to have been one that was only around for a short while...though it seems pretty straight forward). A thought I had was if it had to have the air breather installed back on to draw air properly for at least a little RPM increase but I just haven't seen that need on anything else (...and it is a pain to get back on there correctly, the space is tight). Thought I would ask on here and see if anyone had any ideas before I tear the carb out and clean it for a third time ;-). Thanks in advance! -Rowdy

sounds like you have some thing plugged in the pilot circuit are srews should be at least 1.5 turns out and on any yamaha butterfly carb the air boot needs to be on if not the low end curcuit will not work right .................. check to make sure that on the intake side of the carb the casting is not broke through where the air screws come in this wall cause the symptoms you explain i have had 2 this year in the shop give me big problems completey different running problems and both carbs where junk because someone over tightened the air screws and broke out the castings

Both of those screws have pinholes thru into the tunnel...I was pretty careful with those darn things though...maybe not careful enough.

I tore the carb apart again and went through it completely and cleaned/checked it. I looked more closely at those two holes where the tips of the inlet screws stick through and they don't look like they are from over tightening (anything broken)...it really looks like they were meant to be that way...are you sure the tips are not supposed to come through right there? I am going to try and find a service manual and see what I can come up with. I think I saw another thread on swapping that carb out with something that works a little better. I may see what I can do there. I appreciate the responses!

rowdydowney said:
I think I saw another thread on swapping that carb out with something that works a little better.

Throw that funky "Teikei" carburettor in the trash can and put in an ordinary Mikuni VM-32 or VM-34 instead.

Back