700 SX Questions

Duke107

Hey all, I got a buddy with a new 800 rev and he left me for dead today on the trails, I got a 97 700 sx MINT with only 3100 km on it all stock. I have a few issues I need help with, first, I want to improve my handling in the trails (that 800 rev turns like its a on rails) and correct a poor turning and darting issue I have, will plastic skis help this issue? Next I,v always been happy with the horsepower but have read how to get a little more and will mod the reeds and can for cheap ponies but I have a stock track and think its time to replace, what track should I get for mostly trail and some lake running, can a 1.25 track clear on this sled? Any other ideas are welcomed. Also I have never worked on my sled befor but think I can handle it as I,m an elevator mechanic and well versed with the tools. PS the head gasket mod seems like it may be a little advanced but not sure, I always run premium fuel.

the biggest track you can pput on it is a 1.50 without tunnel protectors. plastic skis and some of woodys dual carbids. cant really remember the name but instead of one strip of carbid there is 2 helps with darting around. i have a 98 sx that thing can go around those corners fast if you ask me. just need to know how to handle the sled lean hard and become firmilar with the sled it will save bucks.

If you are worried about fuel, just pull one layer on the gasket (mid) that will help, as well as the silencer mod, reed spacer or notch mod, plastic skis and the clutch set up in the tech pages. Some skis need more or less ski pressure than others, to get more pressure, pull the straps tighter, reverse for less. Tempa-flow will help as well

On flat, twisty trails, you should be able to outrun the REV. On bumpy ones, forget about it. Do the reed mod, get traction, clutch, rejet, thin the heed gasket and you would be suprised at the improvement. My girls sx7 beat an 02 Viper and a rev 800 in a drag race yesterday with all of the mods. The REV didnt get traction and we were already 40 yards ahead in 600'. Traction is a big issue on a Yamaha. Go with a 1" Camoplast or a 1.25", dont go bigger or you will lose top end. Get traction rods or remove a spacer on the stock rods and you will do much better. Good luck.

Hey thanks all, I am thinking the 1" track is better for top end speed (lake running) also my darting issue is usually at a moderate speed, higher speeds are fine so that equates to the trails, I noticed these rev's have a concave ski with two outer edges to bit the snow, looks good. I will search for darting resolutions on this site as someone told me there was a good thread for a fix.

Duke,
If you are running stock steel skis and having the dartind issue, you just need to shim the saddle.

As you lift the ski from the loop it opens up a gap at the back ov the saddle. Take a peice of scrap belt with the lugs trimed off (or simmilar thickness) and glue or silicon it in place. This will help eliminate your darting issue.

There may be a write up in the tech section about this. You can also look at your wear bars and see if you need the shim. If your wear bars are not worn evenly of more worn towards the front then the shim will help all of this.

Again this is more for the stock steel skis.

Tod

also you buy the ski blocks with the s on them thease our the ones that plane the ski evenly,if you lift the front of your sled with the steel skis and original blocks you will notice the skis tip forward and this will wear out the front section of your carbide faster and unevenly..... hope this helps,plus if you are going with a agressive track you want better steering,the steel skis always pushed in the corners IMO....

Well stupid me, no wonder my sled was running so poorly in the trails (first run of the season) against that rev, forgot to tighten my track, was backed off real lose, oh well seems as no harm done. I am going to pick up some plastic skis for this on boxing day and wondered if you are mostly in agreement the C&A's are a good choice, I did notice my factory skis want to sit nose down on concrete floor as someone pointed out re my darting issue.

Back