600 to 700 questions???

Gary Kamstra

Thinking of putting a 700 in my now vmax600sx, motor is shot, found a couple 700's I could buy. What all do you have to change to make the switch? CDI? Stator? Clutch weights and spring? Carbs?

;)! ;)!

I intalled the complete 700 in mine. The cdi will plug in and run but, will cause a meltdown. Make sure to mark your 600 cdi before you pull it to make sure it doesn't end up in there. My 600 had bender pipes, they are now on the 700. The only real difference between the two engines are the carbs and cdi box. If the crank and case are good from the 600 you may want to save them. They are the same as the 700. The pistons, jugs and head are different. In case you don't know, there are 3 different 700 yamaha tripples. The red head 700 is the only dirrect bolt in.

Gary Kamstra said:
Thinking of putting a 700 in my now vmax600sx, motor is shot, found a couple 700's I could buy. What all do you have to change to make the switch? CDI? Stator? Clutch weights and spring? Carbs?

;)! ;)!

Buy a 700 with the stator/carbs/cdi included, if you have a 600 triple it will be a direct bolt in, if your running the 600 twin you need to switch motor mounts (location and square instead of circle). Clutches are the same, weights/springs will be different

Thanks for the help, I do have a triple right now so it should bolt right in. My thoughts on what I was going to need sounds to be right.

"If he were to use it in true sleeper fashion" I would also replace the 700 identifier on the new cylinder head with the 600 off of the old cylinder head to be safe if anyone were ever to walk upon him unexpectedly, this way he could say "it's only a little 600" <-- Sort of like Mr. Vipers sig.

hey maybe I should look to see if I can install my 700 SRX motor into my 600SXR sled..leave the decals on and have a sleeper of a sled...lol

700 red head with pipes, reed spacers and all that other little stuff I think would run right along a stock SRX.

If you get bored one of these days, the conversion would be a fun project I think but I think I read you already rebuilt the 600

to make a sleeper just swap hoods if they are interchangeable or simply just swap decals, alot easier than swappin engines, electrical and clutches gearing lol

Last edited:

Back