1985 XLV 540 repair help

homer2210

I recently purchased one and it need some work on the engine. I ran it last year but after running and then turning off it would not start again. What are some things that should be looked at to repair. I cleaned the carb before running it last year. Should I look at fuel lines, fuel pump, fuel filter? I am just not exactly sure, I have some mechanical skills just not sure where to start looking.

as with any 540 of this era i would be like was said compression test all new fuel line and pulse line either rebuild the fuel pump or buy a new one and i would say to put new crank seals in it these motor are noted for it and it is a lot cheaper than burning it down this could also be a cause to the no start when warm you do not need to take the whole motor apart for this just the bottom have of the case has to come off compression should be in the 125-135 range with carb wide open

where is the fuel pump located on the sled, can you find me a part number, i cannot locate it from the oem schematic.

is the fuel pump in front of the gas tank, below the handlebars? is it square? I think i found it, just can find it online to purchase.

Go to the dealer and get OEM parts. It will save you a lot of headache and they can get just about every mechanical part for the machine.

There Are Two Styles Of Pumps And I Don't Remember Witch Is On The 85 Xlv The Kehnin Pump Woulb Be On The Oil Tank And The Mikuni Pump Will Be In Front Of The Gas Tank On The Bulk Head I Do Not Have The Genuine Numbers On Hand Right At This Point But You Can Save Lots Of Money Buy Going With Winderosa Seal The Both Of Then Will Cost Less Than The Mag Seal I Do Keep Them In Stock Here At The Shop But I Also Keep Genuine Seal Here Too If It Is A Mikuni Pump You Should Be Good As They Are Pretty Durable But The Kehnin Triangular Pumps Are The Ones That Go Bad ...............
'
Nutz

Back