36mm Flatslide on 84 phazer has gas overflow into vent tubes

phazerowner

I put some 36mm flatslides on my phazer 84 off of a 98 sx 600.
At first the sled ran great. The first time i took it out was last february and it was pretty cold. During the second and third ride I occasionally had a wierd problem. Sometimes when i shut the sled off and then restarted it shortly afterwords the sled would bog and smoke badly. once i reved the engine a bit the problem would go away and the sled ran great until the next time i shut it down- the issue didnt happen every time i shut the sled off though.

I should say that i ride at between 7000- 11,000 feet here in colorado.
The carbs have 94 v-max 500 needles, 145 main jets and 50 pilots. The jet needle clips are set to position 3.5, pilot screws set at 2.5 turns out.

I discovered there was fuel coming out of the breather overflow tubes as this problem occured. I put new float needle valve assemblies and o-rings in each carb. I reset my float height several times, (this seemed to help as i went leaner), I checked the choke plungers and passages on the whole carb and couldnt find the problem.
Last spring the problem got worse as the weather warmed up. also as i climbed higher elevation wise the problem got worse. Sometimes the sled would bog down while i was riding if i wasnt at 1/3 throttle or above. I know this points to a rich condition so i dropped the main jet and this seemed to help, but as i got to about 10,000 ft the sled would not top out and then every once in a while the sled would bog, i'd open the hood and i could see the gas pouring out of the carb vent lines. Has anyone had similair problems? Any thoughts would be appreciated!!

You Need To Check The In Tank Filter Sounds Like You Make Have The Paper Element Coming Apart And Getting Stuck In The Needle Valve Other Than That I Am At A Loss ............... For Your Elevation That Jetting Seems Rich We Run The Same Set Up On Our Race Phazer At 1500 Ft Above Sea Level And We Are Jetted Much Leaner In 20 Degree Temps

Yup, What Nutz said. Had it happen more than once.

Intermittent flooding is a classic sign.

Clean the carbs. Runs great. All of a sudden over fueling and dumping out the vents.

Particals come loose. Get stuck in the needle valve. And if you are'nt looking REAL!! close when you take things apart (again) you will not see them.

Check the filter on any older sled. Especialy if it's been sitting for a while.

opsled

Huh? interesting. The sled did sit for a couple of years but when i put the new engine in last year i drained all the gas and put a new filter on. I'll have to take a look at the filter and i guess some debris could be in the lines and the pump beyond the filter. How were you able to fix the flooding problem?

94-96 36mm carbs

If anyone reading this has a rack of 36 mm carbs off of a 94-96 vmax- I would be interested in buying them. These carbs have the air screw located on the mag side of the carb instead of underneath the carb. Thanks

had the same problem immediatly after i changed the filter,gas runnin out,crap in both needle an seats,checked the filter and it was just 2 cheap end caps glued to each end of the paper,i put a yamaha filter on and pulled it over to flush the lines,no problems since

Back