Turbo on pz480?

racerboy

Turbo on pz480? (or other ways of increasing hp)

Hey everyone!

First of all, I'm sort of a beginner when it comes to 2 stroke stuff, so please don't bash me if this is common knowledge or something.

I'm in a college class for engine research & development and we are allowed to bring our own stuff in to work on and rebuild. I asked if I could bring a phazer 480 motor in for my '88 phazer because it's motor is cooked, and the instructer said it would be fine. I was thinking about just rebuilding it and running the sled until something else major breaks (the track is on it's last leg, and the electrical is messed up.) but then I got thinking about trying to make it faster. I have been wanting to upgrade to a faster sled, but can't afford to do it because I only have a part time job. That's when I thought of turbocharging my phazer. The thing is, I haven't ever seen anyone do it, and I have a few questions before I decide to do it or not.

First thing's first. Is it even possible?

Second, even if it is possible, can our motors handle it? I drive very aggressivley (full throttle most of the time, and for long periods of time without letting off the throttle.) and don't want to be replacing my motor all the time. I'd like it to last at least 1500 miles if I do it. Will it last that long?

Third, what would it cost to put a home made setup together? I would use junkyard parts wherever possible to save money.

Thanks

Last edited:

methanolhemi said:
Turbo, fabrication, and the cost to dial in?
Buy a Srx 700 it will be faster/cheaper/probably more reliable.

well, I can fab stuff, and the school has a dyno, so the only stuff that would cost money are parts.

Keeping it cool would be next to impossible. It's a fan motor and you would be adding a pile of heat to the motor. That and carb 2-strokes turbo sleds are not known for being the most reliable or cost efficient monsters. I think the old saying was if you could wipe with $100 bills instead of toilet paper you were ready to try one.

ok, in that case I won't go turbo. Because I can't afford to be replacing the motor all the time.

Which leads me to wonder what else I can do to the motor to make it more powerful. Would porting the cylinders help at all?

485 fan motor - piped, ported, head work to go with porting, reeds, and flatslide carbs will reliably make 80ish horse. But set up that way I had to run a touch of 110 in every tank to keep it from detonating the motor. Power builds heat and heat leads to piston problems. Runs strong though and is fun to ride. Sadly by the time your done building it you'd be money ahead if you just sold what you have and took that $$ and the $$ you'd spend on the build and buy a bigger sled. All sorts of 700 red heads showing up in that $1500 range. Makes 112ish out of the box and is about as reliable as an old steel anvil.

just rebuild what you have and clean up the ports. i would also look into the carb fix as those where lean in the midrange whitch could be contributing to your problem.

Yes it can be done and would be a neat project for an experienced tuner, technology has come along way on boosting carb'd engines, however the cost will make it prohibitive for your shoe-string budget.
It would require a special sized turbo for that small displacement engine, so that rules out being able to use junk yard components...
I'd 2nd what the guys have said and if you choose to you should stick with just a good rebuild and blue printing, maybe venture into porting and carb tuning, stick with that.
Tim Bender when he still owned Bender Racing did alot of performance tuning on that engine from his oval racing, from pipes to carb tuning, porting, etc. Justin at Full Power Performance worked along side him on all that Yamaha development when he worked there and could provide you with porting specs and carb tuning.
Bender Racing / Dyno Port still offers the original Bender pipe but it's not cheap.
They can be made to scream, and that power to weight ratio really makes it fun. But like the guys also said, after spending the $$$ to get it there you'd be way farther ahead having stick $$$ into a good SRX, etc.

Last edited:
JIM FROM DYNO-TECH AND GREG BENNETT COMBINED FORCES IN THE EARLY NINETIES TO GET THE TWO STROKE TURBO THING GOING. I BELIEVE BUSINESS WAS '' FIRST CHOICE '' TURBO. HAD KITS FOR ALL THE SLEDS BACK IN THOSE DAYS INCLUDING THE VMAX 4. 3:16 (yammie tony)

We did up a 90" Exciter, port job, jetting, pipes, geared, clutched.
Added an Sc4 skid to it. Wide kit on the front we found kicking around,
lighter skis etc etc. All in all its still a major pain in the *** to catch in the trails.

It'll top out at 100mph, but get there really freaking fast. A few guys laughed at,
, said it was a dinosaur. Found out in tight trails they did.

Tell me more about that 90" exciter please, seems like that kind of info is something for me:)

My goal is to build something like that..... I want it quick and strong, topspeed is´nt important at all

Back