Shocks

Ended up going w/ the GABRIEL MaxControl. They are primarly designed for trucks. Got AUTOZONE to price match what AMAZON had them for. Plus GABRIEL is offering 20% mail in rebate. After it's all said and done I'll have $144 in 4 of these 46mm monotube shocks.Purty dern hard to beat. Plus they perked up the entire truck @ 1-2 inches from where it was at.

I put monroe sensa-trac's in mine in spring. I'll be replacing them with bilstiens this spring. The monroes are half dead already but the guy at napa did warn me that they do not hold up to off road use.

I think the monroe reflex shocks are more geared towards trucks/suvs. The sensatracs I installed in a monte carlo ss just plain sucked. The 17 year old bilstiens worked wayy better as far as handling. Let us know how the new shocks work out!!

COB I believe they are. Something with the adaptive valving doesnt like the abuse off road driving. I think the extreme pressure changes inside the shock blow the seals out much faster.

Both the Reflex and the Sensa-trac are supposedly ok in a pickup but unless you never even drive on gravel I wouldnt recommend the Sensa-trac. The Reflex is meant for half ton trucks and larger as they dont seem to make them for small trucks. Bilstein is absolutely the way to go. Pay more now, save money on installing many pairs of cheap shocks over time.

I'm wanting some Bilstein 5100s for my truck, but they seem to only list them for 99+ full size Chevies. My factory type Bilsteins still have life left, but when you put 6000+ out back it gets a little squishy.

Oh yea, I forgot. NEVER reley on the AMAZON 'see if it fits' page. I got those KYB shocks from Amazon.....and their page did say they fit.....only to realize they were for primarily early 70s Fords. Live & Learn. From now on, I will insure proper fitment on the manufacturers website only. Boy-o-boy was I torqued. O well, I'm pleased w/ what I finally got.

Back