Oversized idler wheels/marginal snow wheels ???

SRX RIDER

Our fabulous PA winters tend to offer less than ideal snow conditions at times and I was looking into the oversized idlers and marginal snow wheel kits that everyone seems to sell. Can anyone give me some feedback on these wheel kits? Are they worth the price or a waste of green? Do they provide any other benefits besides reduced hyfax wear, like better top end due to less resistance? Any negative effects from adding these products? Can these be left installed or should they be removed when riding in better conditions? Can the oversized idlers/marginal snow wheel kit be combined? Last of all, which manufacturer makes the best quality in each of these items. I saw Pioneer Performance makes a spacer kit that uses the factory (bearing replaceable) idlers instead of oversized ones. This made more sense to me since the factory wheels will be easier to replace and service. How about the marginal wheel kit? Lots of those available. Which of these is the best to use? Thanks! Sorry for so many questions. :(

I've got both on my 02 SRX - 3000 miles on the original set of hyfax - not fooling - second sled I've had them on - swear by them - seems to have less friction when running down hard pack roads also - mine are from Maxximum Performance

I put on the yamaha set and they work great on my 98 SRX. The only down side I experienced was I caught a rock at the side of the track and it broke the wheel and the alumiinum slide frame (damn hell).
Corey

I have had 2 sets of max perf. oversized idler wheels and both sets crapped out,the bearings are not replaceable.I use stock ski-poo idlers which are the same size as the max wheels,and I use the aluminum wheel kit for the front of the sliders at the bend.The nice part about useing the factory ski-poo wheels is bearings are easy to obtain about any where and the wheel quality is way better than max perf.This is not a slam on max perf.,just dont like their wheel kits,I purchase many other products from them with out a problem.-Harvey

Thanks for the info everyone. Looks like these items are a worthy expense. Now I just need to pick which ones I will use. I'm thinking of going with the spacer kit from Pioneer Performance which uses the factory idlers and just repositions them lower. Yamaha has two different marginal wheel kits that look pretty decent so I may stick with factory on that one.

Does anyone readily know the diameter of the factory idlers? Given all of the extras that were already on my Viper when I purchased it, there is always a chance that they could have been replaced.

Which ones?

I saw a post that stated the Polaris wheels at 5.375 will bolt right up. Going to buy these and install in place of the 4 stockers I have on the Viper.

I see there are some little ones you can get for where the rail turns up. They are spendy though.

Think I am just going to replace the 4 that are 5.175" with the bigger Polaris wheels.

Sound right?

koodat said:
I saw a post that stated the Polaris wheels at 5.375 will bolt right up. Going to buy these and install in place of the 4 stockers I have on the Viper.

I see there are some little ones you can get for where the rail turns up. They are spendy though.

Think I am just going to replace the 4 that are 5.175" with the bigger Polaris wheels.

Sound right?

Yeah, that's the idea. What do the other mfgrs idlers sell for a piece? Keep in mind that in order to do it right you need to replace all six. Six Poo or Doo idlers might be more expensive than an oversize or spacer kit??

The "little ones" you refer to are the marginal snow wheels. Yamaha kit can be had for around $60 from Port Yamaha. Think that's the route I'm going with for the marginals.

I'm listening to the weather right now thinking I might just rip the whole dang track off and replace it with lots a wheels. :mad: Where is the freakin' snow?! I really am trying to be patient. :o|

I paid around 17.00 a piece for the 6 ski-poo idler wheels,they will work great,just dont let it out to my buddies that I have ski-doo parts on my sled-lol.I like the idea that you can just replace the bearing if it craps out.I also think the offset bushings are a good idea to look into to use your stock wheels.-Harvey

Yamahauler said:
I put polaris wheels on my srx they are 7 mm bigger

Same here, I also take a Dremel & cut a couple grooves in the hifax to hold snow.... I should have over 4000 miles on my hifax this year with a 2" lug.

What you mean all six. My 02 viper only has (4) smaller idler wheels. 2 per side.

I have also been through 2 sets of Max Performace wheels due to bad berrings. If I could do it over again I would get the polaris/skidoo wheels or try the Pioneer kit.

never mind

looked at my Maxx. perf. book and I see they sell in sets of 6, so I'll have to get 2 more.

I would put the pioneer perf. Kit on. I put that kit on my 02 viper and my hyfax are still in good shape. I live in Iowa so the marginal snow riding is a plenty it got to 56 degrees today pretty nice for the 30 of December.The kit is easy to install and you get to keep the stock wheels with replacable bearings.It spaces all 6 wheels down. I looked at the maxx kit, buying brand x wheels and the little marginal snow wheel kits and came the the decision that the pioneer perf. spacer kit gave me the best bang for my buck.

Back