Reed valve gains

jimmy dodge

I have a 97 SX 600 and I'm just wondering what kind of gains people have seen from a reed valve upgrade? and do the spacers help?
The only thing done to the sled is an MBRP can, the rest is stock. The engine is high mileage (almost 22,000 kms) and the top end was rebuilt roughly 5,000 kms ago. I'm sure there would be some benifits to doing them anyway, I have no idea if they ever were changed.

thanks

Factory reeds are well suited and you probably won't see any gains from aftermarket... It may be a good idea to check and possibly replace what you have. Don't know if the tension relaxes over time, definately know if they are frayed, chiped or cracked...

thanks for the response, I was going to change them out due to age and mileage but I just didn't want to spend a bunch of money for nothing. I was considering a set of V-Force 3 reeds and cages.
I put a set of Carbon Tech reeds on my ole 86 SRV and really didn't see any difference (it's piped, and clutched).

I'm 98% sure I have an oil pump issue too. My oil light will come on after about 1.5 tanks of gas. I can't imagine that helps the performance much (not that there's a bunch of performance to mess with, lol)

thanks again

Only reed gain is with a porting job with stock srx cages reed spacers help

Back