Temperature Question on 700 Red Head

sr522re

Can anyone tell me or guess what kind of temperatures are achieved at the air intake manifold specifically at the reed cage? I'm looking at making some reed spacers and want to consider an alternative material besides aluminum. Obviously aluminum is prefered, but here at my work we deal mainly in stainless and some other unique metals and plastics that may work as well. Plus the fact that i'm having a hard time finding a piece of 4" x 12" x 1/4" that I can cut up.

Just wondering what kind of temperatures I need to worry about.

Thanks guys!

C

With a proper working cooling system, the engine block (especially on the carb side) should not exceed 180-200 degrees Fahrenheit.

Dmace said:
With a proper working cooling system, the engine block (especially on the carb side) should not exceed 180-200 degrees Fahrenheit.

Great! Thank you for the input...

I would go with one of the plastics that are good for the heat range over the stainless since stainless has poor heat dissapation and will transmit the heat to the carbs more than other materials

staggs65 said:
I would go with one of the plastics that are good for the heat range over the stainless since stainless has poor heat dissapation and will transmit the heat to the carbs more than other materials
While it is true that stainless has poor heat dissipation, you have to remember that the heat has to travel through the reed cage and into the rubber carb boot before it reaches the carb itself. While plastic would be the obvious easier choice, stainless would look nicer and would last much much longer. Not to mention it wouldnt be as prone to warping as plastic would be. Also with the plastic, I would be worried about the affects of fuel and oil on the longevity of the material. Not arguing, just tossing ideas out there. I also work primarily with stainless steel in the paper machinery industry.

SX700triple said:
While it is true that stainless has poor heat dissipation, you have to remember that the heat has to travel through the reed cage and into the rubber carb boot before it reaches the carb itself. While plastic would be the obvious easier choice, stainless would look nicer and would last much much longer. Not to mention it wouldnt be as prone to warping as plastic would be. Also with the plastic, I would be worried about the affects of fuel and oil on the longevity of the material. Not arguing, just tossing ideas out there. I also work primarily with stainless steel in the paper machinery industry.
Agreed also.

staggs65 said:
good point with the reed cages SX700triple. I'm a pipefitter and work in the paper mills alot myself. just finished a shutdown today actually.
Shut a machine down or the whole mill? It bums me out to hear about mills shutting down... damn this era of technology. If you ever see Voith equipment in a mill chances are good that my hands have been on it.. unless it has really sloppy welds.. then that wasnt me haha! Im extremely anal about the quality of my welds both structurally and appearance wise.

Back