4" carbides on viper s?

blueblooded

With the icy conditions ive been riding in i cant get this sled to turn,front end pushes rear end fishtails.I just ordered a set of 6.5" carbides.I hope this helps,i was going to get 9" but i think that might be to much for the unstudded ripsaw.Instead of changing the drivers and regearing,can i just add trail grabbers(screw in lug studs)on my 04 viper s or will i have clearance issues?How do the trail grabbers hold up?

I got the 4" woody's for my viper s and it helped, I got some 6" i'm going to try this year.

Before you go the carbide route make sure the sag or "set in" of your suspension is set up per the owner manual, makes a big difference. Also remember that the 1 1/4 track makes the front end lighter than a normal track, so if on rails handling is what you want, you may want to put a standard viper track on it and stud it. I've heard of several people around me doing that.

Let me know what you find that works.

xsivhp

Give the stud boy SHAPER bars a try. I put the 7.5" on with a studded track on my 02 last year...I won't go back to regular carbides.
The sled never handled this good before.

I am currently running 4" and have no trouble in the corners at all. Sounds like you want to check your suspension set up. My viper-s turns way better then my buddies 02 viper (I think he needs to tweak his a bit also) Do you still have the stok ski's on it? With the stock ski's with 4" carbides and the suspension set right mine handles great. If it feels like it wants to push i just tap the break a hair then jump back in the gas, tapping the break will load the ski and breaking the track loose brings right around for me. That why I like the ripsaw so much, it doesn't feel like the sled is going to spin out, the tail slides out only so far then it digs. The ripsaw is and awsome track I wouldn't trade it for anything. (Plus no more torn up garge floor from studs) good luck. Try the suspension set up.

doc04viper-s said:
I am currently running 4" and have no trouble in the corners at all. Sounds like you want to check your suspension set up. My viper-s turns way better then my buddies 02 viper (I think he needs to tweak his a bit also) Do you still have the stok ski's on it? With the stock ski's with 4" carbides and the suspension set right mine handles great. If it feels like it wants to push i just tap the break a hair then jump back in the gas, tapping the break will load the ski and breaking the track loose brings right around for me. That why I like the ripsaw so much, it doesn't feel like the sled is going to spin out, the tail slides out only so far then it digs. The ripsaw is and awsome track I wouldn't trade it for anything. (Plus no more torn up garge floor from studs) good luck. Try the suspension set up.
\

Yes,it has the stock ski's on it.I dont want to loosen the spring pressure on the front arm of the rear suspension or pull up the limiter straps because i dont wanna bottom out the w arm and break it.I have the ohlins up front set at 6 clicks from the hardest setting.center spring in rear suspension on #4 setting,rear spring at #4 position.F.R.A. is set at medium spot.Hopefully the 6.5" will do it for me.

No one here has tried trail grabbers(screw in studs)?

8" Woodys

8" with 136" Ripsaw. Seems to be just enough. I would not go any less myself, but the 6.5" are better than 4" for sure.

Heard the shapers are nice, but Rich had some 8" std. Woody's for $50 shipped. Couldn't pass it up.

Yeah On my ride(SRX) I have 8inch carbides and I will never go down to a 6inch or even a 4, but, it will depend on studding and HP rate of you sled. Bought my 8 inch Saber traction carbides on ebay for 28 dollars!!!!!! :rockon:

Back