Yamaha Phazer Questions

Kkellogg13

Hello,

I have an old (1980's?) yamaha phazer.. or so i believe. Im having trouble finding out what the exact year it is, and im not sure where they would have that put on the sled.

I bought this sled about 6 years ago, after about the 2nd time riding it, i smoked a piston and it has been sitting in my garage ever since.
I have the motor torn down and im finally attempting to fix it.

I definitely would like to replace both the pistons since i have it torn down already, but what worries me is that this sled is nowhere near stock. The previous owner said it used to be a race sled for Team Alpine Yamaha of Michigan. I did notice the sled is port and polished, has a Polaris clutch, aaen pipe and is bored over.

My plan is to send the cylinders to a local performance shop and see if they can be cleaned up or need new sleeves, then to put the new pistons in.

I'm lead to believe that the particular piston that burned up could have been due to a bad crank shaft seal so im going to replace the seals just to cover my bases.

If there is any input or suggestions on other things i should check out/replace while i already have the motor torn down, i am all ears because the last thing i want is to tear it down again soon after putting it back together! :)

Thanks!

-Kyle

phazers first appeared in 1984. the vin # is located on the right side of the tunnel(sitting), just below where the seat meets the tank. post the first 3 digits on the vin and i will let you know the year.

the cylinders are borable. your on the right track by ruling out the seals. another factor to consider would be timing as well as jetting. timing advances were the norm as was on the edge jetting for competition usage. not so good for trail application. you may even consider bringing the engine back down to stock. in stock trim, the phazers were very reliable sleds.

Kkellogg13 said:
I have an old Yamaha PZ-480 with a smoked engine.
I definitely would like to replace both the pistons since i have it torn down already,
but what worries me is that this sled is nowhere near stock.
The previous owner said it used to be a race sled for Team Alpine Yamaha of Michigan.
I did notice the sled is port and polished, has a Polaris clutch, aaen pipe and is bored over.

If there is any input or suggestions on other things i should check out/replace while i already have the motor torn down, i am all ears because the last thing i want is to tear it down again soon after putting it back together! :)

Take some pictures of the cylinders and especially on the pistons.
The piston may very well be of the special "SX" styled piston for the PZ-480 engine.

:worth:

Here are some pics of the piston and cylinder.

Also the sled serial is 80L-002865 so it looks like its a 1985 pz480j

p4180014k.jpg

By darkith at 2011-11-19

p4180009b.jpg

By darkith at 2011-11-19

p4180002.jpg

By darkith at 2011-11-19

p4180001i.jpg

By darkith at 2011-11-19

Last edited:
So ive come to the part where i need to remove the clutch. The clutch on this sled has a jam nut holding it on. A Jam nut driver can cost anywhere from $45-$70... is there any way around this?

Clean the carbs, if they were dirty it could have caused it.

Those cylinders were recently honed - probably burned a piston before you got it - but that is not unusual for a high performance sled.

There is no way to know where the jetting should be. It would be best to richen it up before you run the sled and see where its at.

Yea i came to the conclusion it was probably the carbs that caused that piston to burn up after seeing the burn was on the top of the piston like that. Im definitely gonna give them a good cleaning before i get this thing going agian.

So i just split the crank case today and i want to change both crank shaft seals, the clutch side has a gear on it for the oil pump, is that just pressed on? Just trying to figure out how to remove it so i can replace the seal on that side.

I had not taken a good look at the pictures. That could be from lack of oil. Check the oil system. When you get the sled going, mix oil in the gas and make sure it is taking the proper amount of oil from the tank.

I'm actually gonna leave the oil pump unhooked and just mix oil with the gas, my reasoning is because theres really no good way to tell if it has stopped working while im running it. That way in the back of my mind ill know its got oil.

Back