piped viper vs piped edge x 700

andrew k

ok id like to start off by saying this paticular 2002 edge x 700 was my sled 2 years ago. then i sold it to my brother. it is powervalved twin and the 2002 edge x 700 had arguebley more power then the 03 plus 700cc edge series. i think it was rated at 134 hp or close to that and 03 newer had slightly less power from what i can remember. i looked it all up at one point because i used to own it. but anyway he slp piped it this last winter. i have a cpr piped 02 viper. that i should have dialed in about perfect soon. i think its gunna be close to 50 then im gunna start pullin on him. that edge did have awesome bottem end lug from what i remember. so wadya u guys think??? its gunna be a little while till we actually get some snow but ill post back with results when the time comes....

yep found one verification the 01.5 and 2003 and up were around 127 but the 2002 modle performed better than expected and was 134hp from factory kinda strange. the 800 was only a few horse more then the 700 in this paticular year.

Last edited by a moderator:
sideshowBob said:
With both sleds set up equally..500' will be interesting but 660' should be all Viper.
i hope so myself. we both have question marks over our heads right now. lol

My brother has a 02 700 xcsp Polaris which is clutched and is no match for my SRX 700 that is also clutched

i havent ridden the poo since i sold it. but i had my viper out yesterday and it pulls like a freight train. i dont recall the polaris having that kind of snap i mean the poo would pull the skis off the ground. but it wouldnt skip across the yard pulling the skis back off the ground every time it hit a lil lump like the viper does. and that sound is amazing sounds like a worked banshee with toomey t5s and an extra cylinder lol

viper all the way thru as long as your running a aggressive clutch weight like a 8ca or 8ab or better yet, heel clicker.

Drag racing is all in the clutching and gearing. Those Poo 700 twins have a lot of torqe vs. a trip with all HP. What have you done to the SRX other than the pipes?

You can take a well tuned in 600 and beat 700-800 trips in 500ft.

KRSS144 said:
Drag racing is all in the clutching and gearing. Those Poo 700 twins have a lot of torqe vs. a trip with all HP. What have you done to the SRX other than the pipes?

If you don't have traction, nobody is going anywhere in a hurry....drag racing is more than clutching and gearing...chassis setup is just as important.

shadow44 said:
If you don't have traction, nobody is going anywhere in a hurry....drag racing is more than clutching and gearing...chassis setup is just as important.
i have origional yamaha track says yamaha right on it half the outside lugs are missing but track in the middle still seems fair. cant afford to replace it till next year. still has a yr left in it anyway but.... with more carbide tipped woody studs then i can count lol. 8ca weights. my brother has aftermarket 1 incher on his polaris mildly studded but not carbide and already starting to peen over. i cant remember the name of the track he has... but its nuttin special either. that poo is a runner tho. i wanna race him on hardpack but im sure wel race in the powder as well. no tree lights.. just ready.. set.. go... in his 19 acre back field.

KRSS144 said:

its a viper not an srx.... The cylinders stock per stock flow a little better then the srx cylinders do. plus a bigger timing advance from the cdi. the cpr pipes are proven... good running pipes for a viper. and make huge power increases over the stock single pipe setup. as for the cooling on stock heads and fuel milage and reliability the srx is top. yamaha already did all the r&d on this.

Last edited:
Traction is a huge deal for drag, and for a friendly drag race I dont think anyone is going to start messing with the chasis. What if we took the traction right out of the equation and relied on clutching and motor? My buddy (he is going to kill me for saying this) has an 02 Viper that has the SLP pipes and Speedworx head with clutching. We both have an 1.5" Ripsaw and did a few drags last year with lights and readings. This is why I was saying a well tuned smaller sled can/will give anything (bigger or smaller) a run for its money..............anyone want to see an example?

KRSS144 said:
Traction is a huge deal for drag, and for a friendly drag race I dont think anyone is going to start messing with the chasis. What if we took the traction right out of the equation and relied on clutching and motor? My buddy (he is going to kill me for saying this) has an 02 Viper that has the SLP pipes and Speedworx head with clutching. We both have an 1.5" Ripsaw and did a few drags last year with lights and readings. This is why I was saying a well tuned smaller sled can/will give anything (bigger or smaller) a run for its money..............anyone want to see an example?

I absolutly agree..but if it can't hook up ( traction ) it doesn't stand a chance. A smaller sled needs the hole shot advantage to be competetive. If a well clutched/geared sled can't hook up...chances are it may not win against the sled that got all traction.

I agree with most everyone here that setup (traction, clutching, jetting) is going to be crucial for both parties. Now as for the information given that we are assuming both motors are stock with aftermarket pipes and both machines are up to snuff as for wear parts, etc.... the Viper should win hands down. I don't care what some he said/she said dyno says, like they say, you don't race a dyno. The Viper has more aggressive port timing so it will actually put out more HP piped than a stock SRX700. The CPR pipes are probably the fastest drag pipes for a Viper too. I have been there and done it with these sleds mentioned. I ran CPR's for a season but then went back to stock. My mileage was crap but the thing flat out ripped. In stock form I have never had any problems with any of those XC models either whether it was a 600,700 or 800 for that matter. I have ran alot of them over the years. That's just my 2 cents.........

OK here is a perfect example of a under hp sled vs. a "bigger" sled.

My helmet cam, let my buddy use it for a few runs. He is on his 02 Viper, Speedworx head, SLP pipes, Dragonfly weights and different helix.

I am two lane over on the left with my little 00 XC 600 SP, stock head, no motor work, stock pipe, just clutching and a very well tuned in sled.

We both have an 1.5" Ripsaw track so traction is not a factor in this race.

http://youtu.be/ImdP5_XrlXE

Classic example of "The BS stops when the flag drops"
I successfully ran smaller cc sleds in larger engine classes for years.
Winning is not only about the parts and $$$ spent...its about the time spent on the mathematics the tuning and setup for each day, track, and you also have to know your competition! I used to spend a lot of time just learning about my competitions gearing, weight, tracks ect. so I wouldn't have to play catchup.

^exactly. This was just a friendly run what you brung. Both sleds are our trail sleds, pulled them out of them trailer that morning and ran them.

Pray for snow, doesnt look good for Christmas. Merry Christmas everyone.

Back