SRX...anyone ever seen this?

Srxspec

Your #1 performance shop!
Website
www.ulmerracing.com
Sled is a 1998 Yamaha SRX with a Maxximum Performance 780 kit. Runs stock pipes with an aftermarket silencer. Sled only has 796 miles on it. Some slight detonation on the mag piston and it has a bent rod. Looks to me like it hydrolocked from getting fuel in the cylinder and then bent the rod when he went to start it. Either way it's an OUCH. It might be a good idea to install fuel shutoffs!

Edit: The scuffs on the piston were a result of the air box boot not being completely installed on the carb flange!

Last edited:

It also looks like the head stud has some serious corrosion and is ready to fail. Was that caused by electrolosys. Looks like a lot of rust with very few miles. How could a 98 only have 800 miles?

looks like your piston wash is a little on the lean side on my 98 the mag side carb is one richer then the other two

What is a fuel shut off? Can I get one at a local dealer? Will the install be easy? Is it just a switch that you turn off and no fuel will go to the carbs! Sorry if I sound stupid, but I now have a 98 SRX that I would like to keep in good shape for years to come and the last thing I want to do is pull it off the trailer and this happens.

Thanks
-Tom

tommyt5078 said:
What is a fuel shut off? Can I get one at a local dealer? Will the install be easy? Is it just a switch that you turn off and no fuel will go to the carbs! Sorry if I sound stupid, but I now have a 98 SRX that I would like to keep in good shape for years to come and the last thing I want to do is pull it off the trailer and this happens.

Thanks
-Tom
There easy to install heres a link. http://www.yamaha-motor.com/accessories/acscitemdetail/2/14/166/5/315/5426/All/1/2725/detail.aspx

I liked not having a shut-off. Didn't know that would cause that. Looks like I better pick one up.

Did you have completley warmed up, they are most likely wiesco pistons in that kit looks to me you cold seized that one

Brad, I thought that too, but score no marks on last picture. cold seize will have marks all the way around (4 corners). Marks are from open airbox boot on one side only, right spec?

10000 mile on my 00 srx, 4000 miles on my 01 sxr, 7500 miles on my 97 700sx, 5900 miles on my 93 EX570IIsx, no fuel shut off's. We trailer 2.5-3 Hrs all winter long. I can't believe this is due to a lack of shut off's.

even if you have a fuel shut off it wouldnt make any difference, there is still a lot of fuel in the bowls and lines.

The cheapest and easiest way to prevent damage from hydraulic lock is to have a policy of pulling it over once slowly. If you do that it will stop without doing damage and allow you to pull the plugs and clear it if there's a problem.

Maddog, it dosen't happen very often, but it does happen.
n02roc, did you ever put a straw in your glass and lift out the liquid with your finger over the end?
Yamahay, It fills up the crankcase and doesn't get up into the cylinders until you spinning the motor at a fairly fast speed. then whamo ping, ping ping your done now. takes about 1/2 a second. Been there, seen it, done that, specs right! ;):D

arent the carbs vented? if they werent i see your point, but with the carbs vented i dont think a shut of would have helped unless you drain the bowls first. i could be wrong i guess?

Complete warm up, never a problem. Sled is owned by an older gentleman who doesn't ride alot plus the lack of snow we've had. The scoring on the piston and dome is from the air box boot not being on all the way. The sled had a vari-flow on it, but not the problem. Pulled the motor out today and the chassis will sit in the corner of the shop until he decides if he wants to fix it or not.

I think your needle seat are not shutting off and filling the cylinder. Iv'e had this problem before on an arctic crap.

Back