Phazer II motor knock?

ForrestBault

This is my first sled. 1998 Phazer II MTN LT. 2000 miles in great condition. I greased everything and cleaned the carbs when I bought it. Rode 20 miles last weekend and it ran great! There was a little noise from the motor kind of like a knock(quiet) at idle. But being unfamiliar with sleds I thought it was probably normal from the others I heard. On the way back down it did have a bit of high idle. Yesterday I pulled the plugs to have a look see and they were a bit wet. I fired it up to check it over and it would knock loudly at idle. Maybe since the hood was up it was louder? But it sure sounded like a metal on metal knock that shouldn't be there. I warmed it up for a bit seeing if it would go away, it didn't. So I thought I'd take off the heads to have a look into the bore. It still has the cross hatching, a couple of rub marks that you cant feel with your finger or nail. So I pulled the jugs off. The pistons have a few rub marks but don't look bad. Rings not broken/ring stops in place.

They did however have some play in the wrist pin bearings up and down. Can they have any? Would it have even caused that sound?

I can take pics of the bores/pistons. Now I look at what I've done to the motor and just realized I've got to put this back together!! What have I done!! Unfortunately I didn't find a smoking gun so I'm not sure what to do. I thought a broken part would show its self.

Also- now I can see part of the crank, it sits in pool of 1/2" of gas. Unrelated right? Just trying to be specific.

Thank you for your time, back to Goggleling Phazers.

:letitsnow

You may have a bent rod pz are noan for this if it has ben hydro locked. Usally mag cylinder OR it could be worn cylinders have them mic out

it sounds like wrist pin knock. those are supposed to be fairly snug in the end of the connecting rods.

Sounds to me like the wrist pin bearings are just on the ragged edge!
I have owned around 11 Phazers and..a knock at idle..slight or not..
imho..needs to be addressed..before it becomes a big bang!! But hey,
if you take out the crank case..I have 2 spares..LOL!!
I would do the wrist pin bearings..but thats just my 2 cents worth..
And if your in that deep..might as well check the whole thing at that
point. Good luck.. I will tell you that the Phazer 485 is about as bullet proof as ANY motor can be. With proper use and what not..I have run a few to
over 8000 miles on the motor..no issues!! Might be light on hp..but boy,
they are dang near fool proof, dependable & run nice!!

Back