My GPS mount!

super1c

Super Moderator
Here is what i came up with for my Garmin nuvi 500. I had bought the viper mountain pad and strap last year. Dont ride many mountains, in fact the side of a ditch or the occasional power line in the UP is as close as i get. LOL! But i like the look. And i used it to my benifit for the GPS mount. I just used some old aluminum pipe i had laying around and made some straping for it. Then mounted my Motorcycle mount i got off ebay for $14 to the pipe. Then remounted the foam and pad with the mount exposed. The bonus of the mtn pad is it has a velcro flap for the strap. I wont be using my GPS all the time so now when i what it i can just unvelcro the flap, mount the GPS and then with my shadetree adapter hook it to the helmet cord. I can then power my GPS and my heated shield at the same time and tuck all the wiring under the pad. Clean and secure. Then when i dont want it you dont even know the mount is there. Testing to follow some snow! Oh yea ya dont see the GPS cause i dont get it till X mass :o| :o| . But im ready!. What do you guys think or any comments for improvements!.

Attachments

• DSCF0732 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF0732 (800x600).jpg
    389.6 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCF0731 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF0731 (800x600).jpg
    360.3 KB · Views: 33
  • DSCF0730 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF0730 (800x600).jpg
    377.6 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCF0728 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF0728 (800x600).jpg
    358.2 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCF0727 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF0727 (800x600).jpg
    327.3 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCF0725 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF0725 (800x600).jpg
    413.9 KB · Views: 22
  • DSCF0726 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF0726 (800x600).jpg
    412.3 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCF0724 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF0724 (800x600).jpg
    419.9 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCF0729 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF0729 (800x600).jpg
    400.9 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

great idea! let us know how it holds up when you put on some miles!!!

would the gps fit under the pad, giving it a much more flush look? or is the mount to high?

tippmannator said:
great idea! let us know how it holds up when you put on some miles!!!

would the gps fit under the pad, giving it a much more flush look? or is the mount to high?

I could get it to mount flush just by moving the mount bar down but i would have to cut the pad up some to fit the padded case and i didnt want to do that. The cut out on the pad is only big enough to fit over the mtn bar strap. If it were more permanent i would do that but i will only be using the GPS for up north trips to the U.P. or to our place in oscoda which is only a few times a year. Most of our riding is local and thats burned into my head night or day. In fact i get dogged all the time cause i cant find my way out of a phone booth when driving my truck but on my sled i am money! LOL!

That's awesome. If you could get it to mount lower, you could close the flap over the top of it when you stop for lunch or whatever... out of sight, out of mind. Although, It is probably the same amount of effort to just take the gps off and bring it with you. Nice work.
I like to run my gps even on trails I know.
I like to "analyze" the trip when I'm done since the GPS tracks moving time, average speed, top speed, etc...

pitz0022 said:
That's awesome. If you could get it to mount lower, you could close the flap over the top of it when you stop for lunch or whatever... out of sight, out of mind. Although, It is probably the same amount of effort to just take the gps off and bring it with you. Nice work.
I like to run my gps even on trails I know.
I like to "analyze" the trip when I'm done since the GPS tracks moving time, average speed, top speed, etc...

Thanks! Im actually going to look at getting it down a bit lower. SX600abuser just posted some of his gps mount and its flush. He did cut up the barpad i think. I asked him some questions about it and waiting for a reply. I dont mind taking it off to go inside, thats why i got that case. Just unzip case and take out. But i would like it to sit a bit lower after seeing sx600's.

super1c said:
Thanks! Im actually going to look at getting it down a bit lower. SX600abuser just posted some of his gps mount and its flush. He did cut up the barpad i think. I asked him some questions about it and waiting for a reply. I dont mind taking it off to go inside, thats why i got that case. Just unzip case and take out. But i would like it to sit a bit lower after seeing sx600's.

The biggest reason I did mine the way I did is to protect it from the elements. The NUVI is not waterproof and not really made for these kinds of conditions, so I figured I would protect my investment. Could you make a bracket to mount to 2 of the four bolts holding your handlebars to get it lower? Thats what I originally was considering doing. Otherwise if you have the money to spend, you can definitely find a ram mount that will work for your bars. Let us know what you come up with.

SX600abuser said:
The biggest reason I did mine the way I did is to protect it from the elements. The NUVI is not waterproof and not really made for these kinds of conditions, so I figured I would protect my investment. Could you make a bracket to mount to 2 of the four bolts holding your handlebars to get it lower? Thats what I originally was considering doing. Otherwise if you have the money to spend, you can definitely find a ram mount that will work for your bars. Let us know what you come up with.

What nuvi did you go with? I got the 500 and its meant for the harsh conditions. The reviews gave it high marks for snowmobiling. We shall see. That is if michigan see's any snow again. I dont even see that they are riding in the UP yet. Looks like maybe copper harbor area but a bit of a drive for a foot of snow that has been beat to death already.

Good job Chris it looks great. It never ends does it? I just spend the last 2 days totally going thru my buddy's 2 98 Polaris'. Now I'm toast for a couple days!

Looks great, Very similar to mine. Great location, easy to access, easy viewing at a quick glance. Al
snowmobileGPS003.jpg

alswagg said:
Looks great, Very similar to mine. Great location, easy to access, easy viewing at a quick glance. Al
snowmobileGPS003.jpg

Thanks al. I saw yours in another post and thats kind of what i based mine off of. ;)! Im going to leave it just like it is. I did move my mount point down so it does sit tighter to the pad now and i like it a lot better. I like it sitting out of the pad in my case for easy viewing and acess for removing it when going inside for food or even when storing ect.... Chris

Do you have any charts or maps yet? I have been working with Vmapping, great guys. Check with Jeromy for a SD card for your GPS. I have most all of the lower MI trails mapped, some UP and some in MN. Jeromy filled me in with the rest of the UP and any I might have missed in the lower. Al

alswagg said:
Do you have any charts or maps yet? I have been working with Vmapping, great guys. Check with Jeromy for a SD card for your GPS. I have most all of the lower MI trails mapped, some UP and some in MN. Jeromy filled me in with the rest of the UP and any I might have missed in the lower. Al

VVmapping is exactly what i was going to go with. I really like the looks of their maps and knowing a TY guy helped make them is even better! Who is jeromy if you dont mine me asking? Is he from the site? I know they do make them for my GPS already checked. Thanks chris

super1c said:
VVmapping is exactly what i was going to go with. I really like the looks of their maps and knowing a TY guy helped make them is even better! Who is jeromy if you dont mine me asking? Is he from the site? I know they do make them for my GPS already checked. Thanks chris

I pointed the girlfriend to vvmapping for a christmas present for me!...hehe.

any chance of getting a more detailed look and description of how you rigged the charger to the helmet plug?

Back