Piped viper or 04 RX-1

sxviper208

I am looking at buying a different sled because I broke my front frame on my 02 viper with pipes. Do I want to buy another viper and put my stuff on it or should I buy a 04 RX-1. I do most of my riding in Northern Minnesota and some in the UP. What should I buy and why. I have not yet rode a
RX-1. I ride fairly hard in the trails but we do alot of ditch banging.

Last edited:

i rode a srx and have a rx and i love it. will not corner like the srx , but an awesome all around sled.(i'm a pretty aggresive rider) it rides soooooooo smooth i was really impressed. the power band is great, but needed a little clutching from stock. the rx also seems to push into the turns, but i think a little more carbide or the duallies will fix it. i haven't rode a viper , but not knowing your riding style makes it really hard to give you any push one way or another. overall compared to the srx I'd take the rx best way i could put it.

I'd say RX-1 if it were a 2005. I've ridden 2003 and 2004 RX-1's. Nice motor, heavy, still need improvements for me I guess.(mostly in the weight dept.) I've ridden alot in Northern Minnesota. Much of it in the twisties. The extra weight of those two model years can wear you out. You can pick up some Vipers pretty cheap in the lower part of Minnesota being it never snows here anymore. I've seen them as low as $3000. Being you have all the parts, bolt them on and go for cheap. Just my opinion.

Not sure on this, but I would venture to guess that the RX-1 is no Ditch Banger for sure.

I'm with Journeyman, There is a repairable Viper on Ebay right now for around $2,000. I'd do the cheapo method and weight for the weight drop on the RX-1.

I talked to a yamaha rep in Canada and he wouldnt say much except dont buy an 05 - wait for 06 - it will be worth it.
I hate my 04 RX1 and went back to an SRX and Viper.
It does everything good except go around corners and deep mogols. I cant live with sooo much ski lift and thats my biggest complaint. Its great on the long straits though. Cornering in like driving 2 sleds.

Last edited:

Back