Need help with carbs on a '89 Phazer

hank

Rebuilding a '89 Phazer. After removing and cleaning the carbs only the right side cylinder will fire. Found that there is no gas in the bowl of the left cylinder. I can see gas in the fuel line right up to the inlet. The float is loose. Any thoughts? Thanks.

remove the float, needle and seat, and confirm the fuel inlet is clear. seen some weird ones over the years where the inlet was actually clogged. also, check the nipples for the oil injection at the intake, seen those plug as well.

Thanks for the reply snowdad4. This is the first time I've gone this far into a carb. I purchased the sled about a month ago for my daughter and thought I'd go through it before taking it out on the trail. The sled was running fine before I tore into it... I soaked the carbs in cleaner, checked the main jets and replaced the gaskets on the bowls. Am I correct to assume that the inlet jet is a plunger type mechanism that moves with the float? I have the airbox off. Is there any benefit by feeding the cylinder manually to get it to fire? Thanks.

you are correct, assuming what you call the inlet jet i am calling the needle. the tab on the float suspends the needle and opens or closes the fuel inlet or "seat" as the bowl fills.

have you removed the rubber plugs to uncover the pilot jet and removed it for cleaning as well? usually soaking the carb with the pilot installed isnt sufficient. also, pay attention to the plug orientation, there are 2 per carb and it makes a difference where they are placed.

nothing wrong with priming the cylinders, saves alot of rope pulling. best to use pre-mixed fuel to be on the safe side. same fuel for your chainsaw, weed eater, leaf blower, etc., if its fresh.

just built a phazer for my youngest. he enjoyed it over the christmas holiday.

After soaking the carbs, I sprayed each carb w/carb cleaner and removed the two plugs at that time. I did not remove the pilot jet, just the main. I did not remove the float/needle/seat during the cleaning process. While troubleshooting I found that the bowl on the left cylinder was completely dry. My guess is that the needle is stuck closed. I'll re-remove the carbs and check the float/needle/seat. Thanks for your help.

Got the sled running :-) Thanks again for the help snowdad4! Hank.

Back