Oil cable adjustments?

devinzz1

what are the oil cable adjustment specs on a 97 sx700. I bought a rsi cable, have it fitted, matched up with stock pretty good by placing side by side. Just wanted to know if theres any specific amount of play or tension. Thanks!

how important is it to be right on the mm? because I know for a fact that i bent the bracket a little bit trying to wrestle the old bolt off with only 2 hands in a tiny area.

what about at idle? will it still get enough oil if its to slack? My engine could be on the line so im a little worried.

It's all relative. Thinner oil flow better than thicker and pumps more easily. If a 21mm setting hits the correct ratio w/ oil A. And oil A has -54F pour point, that same 21mm setting will have a different ratio as oil B. Which has mabey a -32F pour point.
When I adjusted mine, I ended up going out to 23.5 mm to achieve a correct ratio. I think it was probably somewhere @ 45:1 with that setting.
In short, once you have it set to where your comfortable, stick to the same oil to maintain that ratio. Because all oils have a different pour point, and pumps have an easier time w/ thinner oil than do thicker oil.

Last edited:
where is this measurement taken from? I need measurement of end of cable housing to where it fits in lever on the oil pump. Because the rsi cable is a little different. And I use like 100 different oils lol. Have been picking up random cheap oils for the last 14 now 15 years

Without being stock there's no set measurement. You will have to set it by ratio as explained above, if you're worried start out rich and adjust from there.

trial and error I am afraid..start rich,watch your oil consumption to gas ratio and work it down as close to 50:1 as you can get it.Good luck man...

I just did an aprox calculation on my oil ratio tonight.Cable set at 21mm and looks like I am in the area of 23:1.At least my motor is getting oil...Plugs are on the dark side,rich is better then lean.

You can see the little oil arm on the oil pump(might have to move carbs back a bit)make sure it is about 1/16" away from the stop to be on the safe side(at full throatle). Have your throatle cable hooked up also and cables in the approx place they are going to sit.

Last edited:

Back