96 vmax pipe change

joejoeguns

i just picked up a set of bender dual pipes for my 96 500 xt.since these are used i have no information for them and can find nothing on the web.

will i need to re-jet the carbs?and what kind of performance increase should i expect to see?
thanks.

We did a 600 back in '95 and the twin pipes wake it up substantially. Jetting change is required. There is also a midrange burble that you will have to contend with. If you try to take it out with the needles you may run too lean. Bender had a midrange kit that worked fairly well, but there was alot of playing around with that program til we got it right. Adding a dial a jet system or anything compatible may be the anwer for the midrange problem. It's worth the chase to put the twin pipes on.

should i even try it with the jets that are in it?do i need to lean it out or richin it up when i install the pipes?what would be a starting point for jet size?the dial a jet set up looks cool but i'd like to save that as a last resort and stay low buck if i can.lastly can i just read the plugs to jet or is there a more scientific method? i'd hate to burn down my motor just for a few more ponies.

I have jetting chart for vmx 600 -96 with GYT pipes tell if u need some info? At what altitude do you ride?

Ike

you need to richen the cicuits when you pipe it but if the jetting is stock, it may be rich enough to be ok with the pipes, but most likely you will have to go richer. Try it out, just dont hold it open too long until you are SURE you are rich enough

thanks for the replys,i don't know why i'm freak'in out about this i've built, jetted, piped rebuilt and so on with my two 15k bikes but i don't want to blow up my 1500 dollor sled.lol.quess i don't want to get stuck riding my spare sled,a 1979 panther 5000,at least it has electric start.

it's got the stock jets in it and has always seemed to run real rich,to the point of fouling plugs at wot and drinking gas.i'll put the pipes on and do some shake down runs before i call it good.thanks again.

Back