blown 02 viper

cjdeere02

first ride,30 miles into it got a couple of pops out of my motor than i had no bottom end just mid and top. so i checked my plugs and compression on trail it all seemed good. so i got thinking about it riding it back home it feels like a reed valve broke. come to find out the center piston has some metal in it on the edges but heres what is funny pto side is 120 mid is 135 mag 135 no scoring plugs look brand new valves too. runs really shity now i see the edge of my piston is broke off and the ring is showing but not broke in that spot. i got 3400 miles on it and no trouble at all. any ideas from u guys on this strange deal? thanks

there an't know way its covered neithere right i looked at the skirts from the carb side it all looked good. i am gooing to call my dealer tomorrow and see what he says. i thought u guys said there bullet proof? maybe i am not riding it hard enough!!!!

are you running pipes? do you usually run regular or premium do you have a rear exchanger and did you ever get it hot? just trying to find out what might have caused it, sorry for all the question

did you clean your carbs??? Sounds like a lean burn if its the exhaust side that's missing...I'm a bit of an expert on that now..

well i can say this i have no pipes its all stock. i run regular gas for the most and it has gotten hot on the trail when we ran into some bad snow conditions but i stopped right away and cooled it off. i did not clean the carbs this year because they always look good other years and i use stabil for summer storage. the lean burn wouldn't that be a hole or melting of the piston? i got like a piece of piston gone of intake side allmost like a bad piston

Intake side isn't a lean burn...I have no idea, other then a faulty piston, as to why a piece would break off.

i would say if it pinging, detonation,while running hot on regular, just a little stress over time,i think the vipers should be running premium to be safe, the regular thing must be bordrline running, why else would the put dts on the 04

probably a bad piston skirt, could happen from an overrev of any kind or just a bad piston. They pretty much are bullet proof, but shiz happens

well i talked to my dealer and he said it might have had the piston ring center pin vibrate loose and come out causing the ring to spin and catch on a port. he said he seen a lot on twins come loose. whats the easiest way to drain my coolant out? i guess i need to do a motor job since my warranty ran out in sep. of 04.

Back