1989 Phazer Deluxe Recoil Question

cooper30

Website
www.familycanoeing.com
I've searched a lot of threads, and haven't seen an answer to my question. All of the threads I see talk about fixing the recoil itself. I don't need to do that.

I need to replace the fan belt. When I remove the recoil, will it stay together, or are there pieces I have to worry about falling off? It looks like it will be a bear to get at the lower bolts, and I'd like to know if I will have difficulties getting the recoil to to fit back on correctly so I can fight with putting the bolts back in.

Thanks.

The recoil will come off as a unit. No parts will fall out/apart unless it's broke. The lower pulley just bolts to the flywheel and is behind the recoil cup. The upper pulley is two piece (inner and outer) It has spacer washers between the to halves. It is designed this way to be the adjuster for belt tension. More washers in between the halves = wider pulley = less tension. Less washers = narrower puller = more tension. There should be extra washers under the nut that holds the top pulley together. Move or remove washers from behind the nut to between the pulley halves to get proper tension. The way is was setup from the factory should be close.

opsled

If the fan belt is only loose, it can be adjusted by removing the shim washers. If you replace the belt or adjust the old one, you will need to know the proper tension to set it at. I don't have the spec right now.

It really isn't too much of a "bear" to get at the lower bolts. You can get at them through holes in the frame with a socket and extension. Take the muffler off first, it comes off quickly. Use a vice grip on the springs.

Thanks!!!

I was able to carefully get the bolts out. I was worried that I would drop either a bolt or the socket under the motor, but it was easier than I thought.

I've got a service manual, so I think I should have the specs.

The old belt is worn pretty badly. This is the first time I've looked at one on a sled, but if it was for the water pump on my truck, I'd change it.

Again, thanks for your help. I really appreciate being able to do the work myself....well...sort of by myself.

Ted

...also, I suppose I should share this...

I spent about 10 minutes looking at the upper pulley trying to figure out how I could hold it to remove the nut...then I realized I could put a wrench on the end of the shaft.

I'm having more and more senior moments.

Thanks again all!!!

If you have ever changed the belt on a Volkswagen motor, this is a similar setup...just sayin....

Back