87 Exciter won't go

Exciter8789

I ran it on a stand last week with no problems. This week the track won't move. Seems like something is seized. I can get everything to move about a half inch. Last year the speedo stopped working, I put about 300 miles on it after that. I unscrewed the speedo cable, has about 15/16" key on it. Where do I start? I'm not very mechanical but I have a 88 parts sled to practice on.

Exciter8789 said:
I ran it on a stand last week with no problems. This week the track won't move. Seems like something is seized. I can get everything to move about a half inch. Last year the speedo stopped working, I put about 300 miles on it after that. I unscrewed the speedo cable, has about 15/16" key on it. Where do I start? I'm not very mechanical but I have a 88 parts sled to practice on.

I'd suspect the left side drive axle bearing shesanogood. The first sign that the bearing is on the way out is for the speedo to stop working.

Just guessing (haven't worked on an Exciter in some time), but remove the speedo drive gear on the end of the axle shaft (below the secondary) and I think you'll find the speedo pin sheared and the axle bearing toast. Loosen the track and check for excessive run-out of the shaft if the damage isn't readily appearent.

Be glad you didn't find this out 20 miles from home along with a leaking chaincase.

Thanks for the replies. Looks like it would be a lot easier to work on speedo side of shaft if I remove the secondary clutch. Is that as simple as keeping track of any shims and unbolting?

Exciter8789 said:
Thanks for the replies. Looks like it would be a lot easier to work on speedo side of shaft if I remove the secondary clutch. Is that as simple as keeping track of any shims and unbolting?

Yes, provided it isn't rusted to the jackshaft. Not all that common but if it hasn't been serviced recently you may have to spray it with some penatrating oil. Also keep track of the shaft key.

Back