Pics from this past weekend's ride in Minocqua....

Hebi

Here are some pics from this past weekend.
I rode Saturday night and Sunday morning with my brother and his wife. On this particular weekend we managed to ride 140 miles (not bad for combined riding time of 8 hours).
Sorry, no pics of Yamaha sleds as no one in my family owns a Yamaha any more. However, I do still wear my Yamaha suit! Just because I ride a Polaris now that doesnt me that Ive gotta get all into the whole Poo thing, Im still a tried 'n true Yamaha loyalist!
Hebi

Heres another pic. This one was taken by the Mobil gas station in Sayner.
Ive got lots more pics but most of them are of my '01 600 XC EDGE X, my brother's '98 700 XC and his wife's '98 Indy 500. Id most them, but this is a Yamaha forum so I wont.
Hebi

Man, If I would have known, We were in rhinelander all last week and weekend. The farthest we went up was Mcnaughton. The snow conditions sucked after thursday (46 degrees and rain) but the trails were still reasonable.

Im up in Minocqua just about every other weekend from the middle of December to the 1st of March.
In fact, Im going back up next weekend. Im taking off work on Thursday and Friday and plan to make a 4-day weekend out of it.
This winter Ive seen a lot of Yamahas out on the trails, most of it older TSS Vmaxs but you do occasionaly see a ProAction Yammie and every now and again you will see an RX-1. The RXs are getting more common now that they have been out a few years (Im sure the monoshock didnt hurt sales either). Ive seen about 6 or 8 4-stroke Yammies so far this year.
Really though, Ive noticed that you dont see much of the new stuff out on the trails, certainly not like you use to see 5-10 years ago. Most the stuff you see (no matter what brand it is) is from '99-'02 vintage. I think people are getting smart and realizing that the new sleds arent that much better than the stuff that is 5 years old. I think they are going cheap when it comes to sleds and getting more in the ATVs. I cant say I blame them, I plan to be an ATV owner sometime in the near future. Nothing aganst sleds, they are a lot of fun but Im just tired of the weather putting a snafoo in my riding plans. I figure that when I get this sled paid off Im going to be in the market for either a Bruin or a Kodiak. I also look at the fact that I can not only use a quad for trail riding, I can also use it for working around the yard.
Anyways, if any of you guys are riding in the Minocqua area and see a guy with a black Yamaha jacket with blue flames on a red and yellow Polaris who waves at you, wave back at him. Its most likely me!
Hebi

2ooosrx said:
The snow conditions sucked after thursday (46 degrees and rain) but the trails were still reasonable.
Yeah, I hear that. I drove up there Thursday night from a little south of Madison and it was rain the whole way up.
We got up to St. Germain where my parents live and their road was water on top of ice.
We didnt go out Friday. I spent most the day playing Sno-Cross Championship Racing and ATV Off-Road Fury 1,2 and 3 on the Playstation 2. My brother got a little Polaris remote-controlled sled for x-mas, she I was outside a little watching him play with that. That sled is kind of cool but the only way Id buy one is if they made a Yamaha one. They make them in Firecats, REVs and XC 700s, 800s and a Polaris Pro-X 550. I havent found a Yamaha one yet though. No biggie, they get stuck in snow that is deeper than 1" and the battery goes from full-charge to dead in about 15 minutes.
We went out riding Saturday night and rode 82 miles. It wasnt really bad because the ice has all been pulverized into little ice pellets. It looked like someone had sprinkled crushed ice all over the trails. The *TEMP* light on my XC came on only once and that was when I had to wait a couple of minutes when trying to cross a road (Polaris EDGEs have a reputation for overheating unless you run them in ideal conditions or ride really fast). After that I told my brother we needed to pick up the pace so my sled could cool off a bit and after that my sled was fine.
We also got up Sunday morning and rode about 50 miles. Not too bad all things considered.
Next weekend should be fun. Its going to be just my brother and I on Thursday and Friday so we should rack up some serious miles. When my brother's wife goes along she slows him down a bit because she doesnt ride crazy. Me on the other hand, you put me on a sled and I have absolutely no fear of anything. It should be a real David and Goliath matchup. My brother's '97 Polaris 440 XCR (great handling but only 95 hp) vs. my '01 Polaris 600 XC EDGE X (doesnt corner quite as good as the 440 but its 115 hp and has waaaay better suspension). It should be interesting! :rockon:
Hebi

We are going back up there in about 2 weeks so We will most likely ride up to minocqua one of those days that we are up. We should be up from about the 21-24 of January. If you see a group of yamaha sleds with our front end kit on it, chances are it is us. Were there any races going on out on the lake right by thirsty whale when you were up there???

I didnt see any when I drove by on Thursday night, but then again it was 40* and pouring rain.
We dont often ride down that direction, we usually head northwest. The trails usually get better the furthur in that direction you go.
I will most likely be going to Cruise Fest on Febuary 12 and 13 though. I plan on riding either an RX-1 or a Vector.
Hebi

Back