carb tuning...570 mix and match

smkin_exciter_420

hey i have an 88 exciter with twin psi pipes bored .020 over port and polished, pod filters and it has a polaris usa primary clutch???wat the hell why? it has a purple spring.. i have a 136 track (i think).. and it has the injection removed. my needles are f6-68 i beleve,,, p-480 nossles, 320 mains and 142.5 pilots and airscrew turned 3/4 out.. does this sound close to right ?? i just dont wanna melt down again.. the pto side melted piston= no good!!lol but that could have been from the oil seal on that side ripped apart...what about the thormastat ??? i have mine opened with a screw >?>? good or bad?.. i live and ride at about 3000ft and temps around 30-60 deg F....

you seem pretty lean to me,i would run q-8,82 needles-(ex II)340 mains to start,pods safe?doubt it,again i would run a airbox with the front cutout,polaris clutch is better then old yamahas,and that thermostat,did someone do that cause it was runnin hot?

I have a psi single pipe on mine and before i changed my stock carbs into flatslides i had 330 mains on mine and i blew a piston. Don´t remember what pilot size i had but the correct jetting isn´t that easy to find that´s for sure! (especially with pods) I got unis on mine and i tell u using the airbox is a lot better. I struggle with my jetting as well, check the exciter 101 thread though i got alot of great info from that:)

ya idk i got it from my girlfiends ex.haha i have a parts sled and when i got the sleds i found the one with the extnded track with a motor..the crank case and cylinder were full of dirt...idk why he caught it on fire.....i know right ..i think hes a tweeker who got high and didnt know what he was doing. well the other exciter was almost complete ...motor torn apart... didnt have a throttle cables or slides on that one. no handlebars but another set of psi pipes and it didnt have a coil either.. but the hood and seat, track are all nice.. my budget is tight so i thought of putting my rebult twin 340 from my excell3 in the parts sled for now so my girl can cruze around with me.. and so i can cross in front of her and spit some powder on her ha.. because right know my 570 is ripping hard... if the plugs are wet when i pull them out i should be fine on jetting right? because i rode it today it was running good and the plugs were wet after i pulled them out. and my clutch has an 'X' on one of the 3 sides (the spring cover plate) is that suppose to be put on a certain way? id figure for ballancing because there is holes milled into it....any body know which way? and one more thing ..... i have two sets of carbs ...they are both mikuni 38"s with the id code 87x for one set and 84m for the other .. they are slightly different bodys but the bowls are cmpletely diff... one has the power jet function and the other have just a big bolt so you can acsess the jets i assume.... there is so much diferences and little details with these exciters.... but i love em u guys make it a ton easier because your excperiance.... im a dirtbike rider mainly... those are like peddal bikes compared to these sleds... they have so much more variables its crazy..

i forgot to add ... i even did a 360 going down my road ant 20mph...icey hill! and hit a tree... and scrapped my shed right before i smashed into my dads new camper.haha luckly there is no damage ..well nothing to extreme thanks for the advice and info guys
ill post pics in a couple hrs.. time for a night ride

to check the plugs for jetting you need to hold it wide open for a bit and hit kill switch,keep throttle open and stop,then pull plugs and check em,there will be a x on the other half of clutch to line it up right.sounds like youre havin fun on it,everybody and there brother put parts from anything on old exciters making it hard to figure out what you should have,84m is ex,not sure about 87x,rip it up!

hey ya im having fun but the rain is taking away my lubrication! if you just had a lubrication setup for the hi fax and your coolant temperature stayed fine could you run these things up sand hills with out destroying them? also have you s2een or road a snowmobile across water? id imagine u would have to have a huge lug on the track and a big pipie motor.. well im going to build an air box and put my choke lever together.. and try the full throttle spark plug test..thanks for that tip by the way and my clutch doesnt have an x on the other part ..that i could find but it has serial #'s on both pieces and theres drilling on both so any ideas.. well imma take some pics right now to post them thanks again ....

......wishing*hoping*dreaming for the white stuff to fall!!

used to water skip my old exciter all the time back in the day,sealing up the area in front of the clutch to keep it dry was next to impossible on these things.duct tape works pretty good though,if youre goin 70 nothin to worry about,eventually they all go down,broken belts and wet clutches happen,used to be a bar in wis.that had the tv,s on the open water and would sound a horn everytime one went down,try that these days,water was only up to my neck when standing on the seat lol,

ya i cant find the other "x" but there is a very small ./' symbol on part of the other half could that be it? or the numbers stamped in it or the holes drilled?

Attachments

• 012612230217-1.jpg
    012612230217-1.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 012612230258-1.jpg
    012612230258-1.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 2
  • 012612230334-1.jpg
    012612230334-1.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 1
There is a polaris clutch (Comet) because those sleds got an upgrade back in the day... the Comet worked much better than the stock clutch did.

Are you able to see what clutch weights you have installed in that clutch? There should be marking on the clutch weights.

Thanks!

ya ill take a look... update my cold air i did. and i fixed my choke cable...ill update that ..my steering is loose any ideas how to get the bolts out of the upper and lower arm bolts? it looks like the spacers are shot but the boltss are froze in the bushing or whet ever you would call it

update ...do you think these will work nice? i couldn't tell what size the weights are but the spring is purple. and i need to know the best way to remove the upper and lower arm bolts because they are frozen in...torch maybe?

Attachments

• 020112001754-1.jpg
    020112001754-1.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 020112001837-1.jpg
    020112001837-1.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 3
well the cold air pods didnt work right they restricted to buch air so i thinned the filters and extended them up so they wouldnt just suck from the to and it worked! hopefuly i can tune the carbs now and ill be checking the plugs frequently....

smkin_exciter_420 said:
ya ill take a look... update my cold air i did. and i fixed my choke cable...ill update that ..my steering is loose any ideas how to get the bolts out of the upper and lower arm bolts? it looks like the spacers are shot but the boltss are froze in the bushing or whet ever you would call it

Thanks for the spring color, its much appreciated. When I took my steering system apart, i noticed some of the tubing had a dimple, where you could put a wrench. Otherwise try and use some penetrating oil and let it soak, then heat it up and put some more. A 24 year old sled has a lot of seized shit on it... Good luck! And way cool on the air filter/tubing/cold air system. I see where you're going, and it makes a lot of sense! I'm still trying to come up with a cold air box that makes sense...

The cold air intake is working okay but i would rather have an air box because drawing air equally through one box with both carbs makes sense and my primary engages at 4300 rpm id rather it engage at 3700 range cause this thing is noisy but gotta love a two stroke.

Back