95 600V-Max SHOCK HELP

uperjim

Just bought a 95 Vmax with reverse for my wife. The rear suspension sits as low as my old Bravo!
Pulled it apart and re- greased the suspension rods but did not help. Also loosened the shock preload setting. When you sit on it there is next to no suspension travel left.

How do you determine if the rear shock needs replacing---I am not eager to spend the $200 for a new one---does anyone have any experience with an aftermarket shock for this

I think your sled only has 8" of travel to start with. Is there any travel left after sitting on it? Does it bottom while riding? how does it ride? Just because it sits low doesn't mean you've lost all your travel.
You could pull the springs off the shocks and see if there's any residence in the shock itself. I don't think they're rebuildable. If they are shot, someone on here probably could hook you up with some good ones.

Kimplex sells a rear shock for the skid called "pro gold" for around $85. I noticed a big difference with this compared to my stock worn out shock. I have not found anyone who makes an aftermarket shock for the front of the skid yet (the smaller one).

Thanks for the shock info---did this Kimpex shock come with the spring or can you easily use the existing spring. I only know that the OEM shock can only be bought integral with the spring.

Thanks for the steer!

No spring just the shock. It will make a difference but that is only 8" of travel and that sled is big and heavy. Should ride OK with the new shock in it. Good Luck !!! ;)!

I used old spring since new shock did not come with one. I used a strut compressor to change spring over to new shock. Was a pain in the you know what but it worked. www.shadetreepowersports.com does have a spring compressor designed for that application. It is 29.99. If you do alot of riding every year it would be a good purchase. Or maybe have some friends share cost. I hate to buy a tool for 30$ that I would only use every 2 to 3 years.

have complete rear suspension for 94 vmax, fox shocks(center and rear), front idler wheel kit and 4th wheel kit and extra wheels also a 1" lowering tube for front suspension f/s pm me if interested in any or all...thanks john

I used a Comet shock on my prolink suspension and loved it. It did come with the spring. I believe there is a hoffco(they mfg the shocks and clutches) website that listed them as overstock at one time for $50. Not sure if they are still available but probable worth looking. DT

ride fx makes a nice set of shocks for your sled. really helps with the kickback of the suspension. you use your stock springs.

Back