Help! Not my Viper (of course) but my Ski Doo

RichmondViper

I could use some expert advice. While out trail riding the other day, the ski doo my wife rides quit on the trail. After trying to start it and checking the usual things I towed it home. There was no spark at the spark plugs. The next day while looking at it there was all kinds of spark and it started no problem. Could this be a CDI problem? Has anybody heard of them to stop working when they heat up? I am scared to take it out again in case the same thing happens. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

stay close to home when you try it, it definately could be a CDI problem, but more likely it is an intermittent short somewhere, that only shorts from time to time. Electrical problems suck

Had a Ski-Doo that did somewhat the same thing. Seems like when the throttle position is held constant, it will tend to overheat and then just shutoff. They won't start for awhile afterwards it seems, too.

Some models in the late 90's had wireing harness problems down by/under the motor, maybe check for a rubbed wire that might be grounding out ocassionally or a broken one.

Seen this problem before, bad trigger coil (low ohms), caused cdi box to shutdown after a couple minutes of riding. Sometimes the service manual has the ohm value, if not , check the ohms of A new coil, and compare. If you can find a dealer that has one in stock, usually they will do it for you over the phone, if ya say pretty please.

I would also check ohms of your ignition coils, make sure they are within ten percent of each other (close to the same readings). Plug wire to pins on coil should be no reading (infinite).

I had similar problem with an old cat - bad coil (it would die slow), and my srx bad wireing (it would not idle, and not restart randomly)

Back