1980 yamaha 440 srx

killerblair13

hey guys i am noe to this site!! i am restoring my 1980 yamaha 440 srx and i am looking for some odds and ends. The biggest thing i need is a gas tank. i have looked high and low for one and my tank seems to be different than the ones on ebay and such. Does anyone know or has a gas thank that they would be willing to part with?

Thanks Blair

The 80 SRX tank is stand alone. Different than all the rest. It was the only SRX of that body style that had oil injection. Room for the oil tank is why they are different. I don't know why but almost every 1980 SRX fuel tank I have seen has something broken at the filler cap. Sometimes the hinge side sometimes the latch side. Finding a good on will be tough. They are out there but not common.

If broken or cracked they can be welded. Many different ways to do it depending on the damage. There is NO glue of any kind that will stick to those tanks.

Good Luck, Phil (opsled)

PHIL IS RIGHT ON. 80 GAS TAnk HAS A SIDE COMPARTMENT FOR OIL INJECTION TANK. HAD A EXTRA BUT WENT WITH MY 80 SRX. 3:16 (yammie tony)

There was an 80 at a local swap/drag last fall. Under 1000KM's. Showroom perfect.

$2000?? (aboutish) was the asking price. Tank was broken at the filler....

?????? Dono why. None of Yamaha's other models of that same vintage had trouble in that area. 76-77 SRX and early Exciter/GPX had some issues with tanks but most of the rest were problem free. I've cut the entire area out on SRX tanks and welded in a good one out of another model with the same style filler to fix tanks that can't be found. 76-77's that crack at the rear mount are an easy fix too.

opsled

mrmaxman said:
Hey Oplsled, how are you welding the plastic tanks, I think I want to learn that art.

BIG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! secret. Havta shoot ya I told ya. (lol)

Naw, Had the same Q (kinda) this am in a pm.

Here's the answer I gave him-------

Cracks are easy. Broken fillers aren't as (usually).

Here is a thread that explains some of it.

http://www.totallyamaha.net/forums/...light=weld+tank

For filler caps the same methods apply. Cutting the broken one out and welding in another cut from a donor tank is sometimes the best way to go. A clean close cut is key when doing this. Try to find a donor tank that is of about the same vintage. You will have better luck marrying the parts.

It's not that hard and donor tanks make for a good practice base. If you can braze and solder fixing tanks is about the same. Just different material.

Good Luck, Phil (opsled)

OkeDoke??

THE FIRST 80 SS440 (RED) HAD SOME TRACK ISSUES AND WERE CHANGED TO A DIFFERENT TRACK. I BELIEVE DRIVERS WERE CHANGED ALSO. YOU MIGHT BE FINE. I WOULD CHECK YAMAHA PARTS FISHE TO BE SURE. 3:16 (yammie tony)

Killerblair13, there is a guy in the customs section on vintagesleds.com that has the tank you're looking for. Just stripped an 80 SRX. Tank looks good.

YAMMIEGOD3:16 said:
THE FIRST 80 SS440 (RED) HAD SOME TRACK ISSUES AND WERE CHANGED TO A DIFFERENT TRACK. I BELIEVE DRIVERS WERE CHANGED ALSO. YOU MIGHT BE FINE. I WOULD CHECK YAMAHA PARTS FISHE TO BE SURE. 3:16 (yammie tony)

stock track was a 3.29 pitch 12 tooth driver.....116'' udated to a 2.52 pitch 8 tooth driver at 116'' can't remeber for sure but i think they fit

Back