Plug base ring, what to look for?

Backwoods M Max

Ok I think I'm heading down the right track. Ignoring plug color, the ground tab on all 3 plugs are burned just down to the bend in the tab. On to the base ring, this is new to me as far as reading plugs. The pto plug has a dark tan ring all around, the ctr and mag are light tan all around the ring. Is this the "full ring" of deposits I'm looking for? I'm running synthetic oil which I've heard is tough to read?

The sled is jetted 0-3000, 2 turns on idle screws and needle clips are in the middle with both shims on the bottom. The sled was stock when I got it, has v force reeds and an mbrp can now, really looking to make sure I'm not over lean now. I'm running 91 octane with ethanol stabilizer. It runs hard with no flat spots, rode yesterday for about 10 minutes with the choke on half by accident and it was very rich and bogging.

I think it's still in the safe range but just want to be sure. The piston tops have lots of carbon, I think it was typical Yamaha rich before, but feels in the sweet spot now. I'm getting a little black on the porcelain, but think its the excess carbon coming off. The plugs have about 25 miles on them now, I was going to shoot for 100 miles, change the plugs and go for another 100 and read another set.

I don't think it's possible to go from rich to over lean just changing reeds and a can. The airbox is stock so there's no "extra" air to lean it out a lot.

What do you experts think?

Thanks,
BMM

reeds and a can are not going to make the sled "leaned out" or do any damage for sure.

Thanks! Just what I was looking to hear. Having never ridden it and checked plugs with it stock, I didn't know what they should look like to compare these to.

New plugs will look lean for a while, til they get some color on them. Best to use a set of used plugs that r brown, do a good full pull and then check them. That will tell you your main jetting conditions. Air temps will also affect plug readings

plugs are getting a nice deposit ring almost all the way around the base ring, the ground tab is still burned just about to the curve and the insulator is a nice tan. the pto plug is borderline wet on the base ring, which I would expect from that cylinder having a richer jet. I think I'm right in the sweet spot for being safe and making good power. I got to do some very steep hill climbing after a snow storm the other day and she has great punch in the mid range when I need a little more get up and go when I'm on a hill and start to dig in.

Back