secondary spring ID/settings

AKrider

Okay, got some good info on my last question. Got a new one now; I've got an '01 MM700 with a busted secondary and bought a used clutch for a '98 VMax 800 and slapped that on and now it seems my rpm's are higher than before. Should I try to adjust the settings on the 800 secondary (spring holes), or move the spring seat/spring over from the busted 700 to the used 800 and try adjust?

Standard 700 secondary spring seat is 8BV31 with standard setting of 3-3 for spring holes (sheave - seat) - how do I know what spring I've got? It's black with what looks like one section of coil with a bit of white (like it's worn off but still some paint) but the rest of the coils both above and below aren't marked.

Also, on the busted 700 secondary when I took off the spring seat the coil was on 9, but I forgot to check what the inside hole setting was on the sheave. If standard is 3-3, and mine was ?-9, what would the other sheave settings give performance-wise with the #9 seat setting?

And what would be the least tension to greatest tensions sheave-hole to seat-hole settings be. I know the basics; that you change the primary weights/springs to adjust engine speed (rpm's) and secondary helix/ramp and spring are to adjust the backshift, and that adjusting the secondary settings can change the engine speed to a point.

Sorry for the long post.

Well, checked my PDF copy of my sled fix-it manual and found out some interesting info that answered a lot of my questions, including springs, hole settings and angles.

Back