89 exciter primary clutch

thefullmonte said:
Not trying to start argument. QUOTE]

Me neither, but when a person makes a statement about bashing someone's head against the wall IMHO that's pushing it. Not cool on a normally clean site.

journeyman said:
thefullmonte said:

Me neither, but when a person makes a statement about bashing someone's head against the wall IMHO that's pushing it. Not cool on a normally clean site.
Agreed, and my point exactly. A lot of incorrect assumptions being made about other people.
The clutch I posted was used commonly on EX440 SS440 ET 340. Sleds like that I believe. Early to mid 80's. Had one on a 81 SS440 way back when. That was my first sled.
Anyway, I got this one off of a EX570 parts sled and identified right away that it wasn't right, but I'm thinking it might work with the right internals. I did some measuring for spring preload, weight to roller angle and distance and all the dimensions are identical. Think it will work unless someone knows otherwise. Happy to listen if someone knows.

journeyman said:
thefullmonte said:

No Harm, just different experiences/opinions. Would a YPZ hold up to a modded Exciter twin pipes/porting/compression with higher R.P.M.'s is a different question ? I had a Reichards Pro and then later their Stealth pipe (both singles) without issues.

Vmax540 said:
No Harm, just different experiences/opinions. Would a YPZ hold up to a modded Exciter twin pipes/porting/compression with higher R.P.M.'s is a different question ? I had a Reichards Pro and then later their Stealth pipe (both singles) without issues.

Agree.....single pipes ran close to stock rpm. We ran the higher rpm PSI's on our early version Exciter L/C models. I actually had a YPZ on my 1990 stock single pipe mod w/porting from Pat Hauck. He did steer me in the direction of the P-85 though. The Exciter II's had the early version YXR with the white nylon slide towers. Good clutch but had friction issues. In 1995 they went to the current issue YXR with black slide buttons and IMO that stopped people from wanting/needing to run the P-85 or the Comet 108C. In fact a person could probably run the YXR's on the older Exciters but I cannot be certain if the taper will work or not. I think it will but don't quote me on it.

Back