REICHARD single pipe...

Lasse

( REICHARD ) RPC Stealth Single Pipe... ????

I'm looking for pictures and facts about the
( REICHARD) RPC Stealth single pipe for the Exciter-I/II ( 1987 - 1993 )

:2strokes:

Last edited:

img055.jpg

oops i uploaded em in the wrong order,starts at end and works up,least there not upside down,ha ha

The only photo I have is the one from memory. We had one we ran on a 1991 EXII. It had a secondary can underneath. It was real quiet. Not worth your effort though. It didn't do much for it's performance. Nothing did on Exciter II's. They had them detuned with the ignition. Believe me I tried all sorts of stuff on a 1991 and 1992. All the stuff that worked so well on 1987-1990 Exciters did NOT work on the Exciter II's. You had to run the older ignitions to wake them up. LONG STORY!!

I have the 1995 REICHARD brochure here at home,
and they only mention the "Exciter Stealth Pipe"
...But there is no good picture of it #$%&*
Just a blurry black and white photo.

:worth:

Last edited:
journeyman said:
Yamaha had the Exciter-II's detuned with the ignition.
Believe me I tried all sorts of stuff on a 1991 and 1992.
All the stuff that worked so well on Exciter-I did NOT work on the Exciter-II's.
You had to run the older ignitions to wake them up.
LONG STORY!!
....Tell us the whole story !!

Lasse said:
....Tell us the whole story !!

OK here is a long read:

My dad owned the 1991 and I had a 1992. We had alot of stuff leftover from dad's old 1987 Exciter and my 1990 Exciter.

As for the older models my father's 1987 was piped with a set of the early version PSI twins that ran at 8200 rpm. PSI recalled all these pipes (sort of) for $150 they would add length and re-bend the twin pipes to run 7750 rpms. They claimed the same power but that was a big lie. The reason they did this was in the beginning the 1987's came with 36mm butterfly carbs that were racked and similar to the Phazer 32mm carbs. They work good on the stock 1987's except some owners said they had issues getting their Exciters restarted after the sled was heat soaked. Like a vapor lock. Yamaha said we have the cure. Everyone bring your 1987 back and we will refit them with 38mm VM slide style Mikuni carbs. My dad and uncle both did this. All Exciters from this point (except 93 SX models) came with this style carb. Now a new problem cropped up. An engine harmonic inbalance showed up and it was right around 79-8300 rpm's. It caused foaming in the float bowls and a lean burndown started to happen to many of these sleds. Especially if you had the 8200 PSI pipes. Some remedies that evolved were harmonic flywheel balancers ,an Iowa dealer started using float bowl weights to reduce the foaming effect and PSI also had a richer set of needles for the carbs. That's what we used with no issues (needles). But this is also why PSI cut their R's back on their pipes. One of our friends we knew had his pipes redone but we did not. The 8200 pipes were way, way faster in the end too.

Now with that being said when I was geting away from Phazers (that's what I ran at the time.....long story there too) I was going to get a 1990 Exciter and set it up like my dad and uncle's with twin pipes if I could find a set of the 8200 version. But I found out while selling my somewhat heavily modded 1988 Phazer from a guy about Pat Hauck's Exciter setup before he was very well known. He was doing a port job and a stock exhaust modification that was faster than the PSI twin setups for the Exciters. I ended up getting a 1990 through him at the old Motorsports of Rice Lake where he was a wrench. He only charged me $200 extra. It was a total sleeper and would take the new Mach 1's of the time and our 1987's that were piped. I ran mid to upper '90s on local radar runs. I did run a Polaris P-85 clutch too later on this sled and also ran the DG (PSI copy) single pipe for awhile which worked good which was much lighter than the stock one, sounded good and gave it a little more midrange snap.

Now with all that info. I tried the 7750 pipes, the 8200 pipes and the newer PSI Exciter build twin pipes, the DG single pipe and ported cylinders, P-85 clutch you name it on these two Exciter II's. Nothing worked until I talked with Pat Hauck who had gone through his own headaches trying to setup some improved stock Exciter II's for racing. He said he could not get them to go either until Yamaha finally admitted that the ignition was different. Pat had to take an ignition off a pre-1991 to get any results.

I may have forgot to mention some other info but that was alot in a nutshell.

Last edited:
Candy for my eyes,damn i wish i could get a hold of some of those parts! Interesting reading there journey man, excellent information, thanx!

VMAX540. That catalog brings back memories. I would not doubt my dad has that copy too. He has saved all that stuff. He even has a 1972 SnoGoer buyers guide. If you notice at the time of this RPC catalog they were using other mfg's pipes such as the Decker single for the Exciter L/C. Those twins look to be the 8200 PSI's if I am not mistaken. The 7750 ones had more of an "S" when they made their first turn because of the added length. I think it was shortly after this issue they hired Jeff Simons (CPR) to do their own pipes.

journeyman said:
The only photo I have is the one from memory.
We had one RPC Stealth Pipe we ran on a 1991 Exciter-II
It had a secondary can underneath.
It was real quiet.
( REICHARD ) "RPC Stealth Pipe" for the Exciter-I / Exciter-II

Anyone have any better pictures of the RPC Stelth Pipe ?

Last edited:
rpc stealth pipe

I had both RPC pipes on a 1991 exciter || . I had one of the first stealth pipes sold , before they had the jetting and clutching done . It needed different jetting and clucthing from the pro pipe . It took time to get it dialed ,it was better than pro pipe and vastly better than stock . It was a torque pipe , made all it's power by 7000 rpm . You had to change the gearing 1 tooth which helped to get the exciter too 100 mph . It was really quiet . A few years ago i welded that stealth pipe can onto a RPC phazer pipe (so i don't get tickets at road blocks ) to make it quiet.

Back