1987 Vmax540 build....

MSASRX

Well, so to work hand & hand with my boy on his Enticer 340 project, here will be Daddy's Vintage project to possibly ride with him next year - ALWAYS wanted a Vmax....they were so cool back in the day.... I have pulled it in the "shop" part of my garage and will be tearing down some time soon....go figure, a 7 year newer sled and its way rougher than the two enticers i have.....oh well. That all goes to the type of people that bought them, and how they rode them..i imagine vmax's were bought by different people that bought enticers-right? I can't wait!!!

Attachments

• P1010186.JPG
    P1010186.JPG
    72.5 KB · Views: 1
  • P1010187.JPG
    P1010187.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 1
  • P1010188.JPG
    P1010188.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 1

I may need some stuff......Thank you.
Did you ever get to ride your Vmax "project" this year ???

You know i was thinking about that also...I've got a couple of the vmax performace guide's and it shows in detail how to port the cylinders...Hmmmm?
Who did the porting..you?
Also - I have a 95' secondary clutch that i was thinking about playing with on this 87' too...Mr.Sled did that work on your old vmax ??
I'm most likely getting way ahead of myself here......but oh well.
Love the TSS yammies
Ohh, i almost forgot - are the oem 8M6 belts the best to use for these machines?? My old boss for my first "real" job at four seasons yamaha has a whole box of these belts still.....just wondering?

Last edited:
USE THE 8M6 BELT. THE 95 SECONDARY WILL GO ON BUT YOU MUST SHIM CORRECTLY FOR BELT DEFLECTION. THOSE MAX PERFORMANCE MANUALS TELLS YA EXACTLY WHAT PORT SPEC IS. 3:16 (yammie tony)

The 8m6 belt will be to short and to narrow to use with the 95 secondary as they are a bigger diameter unless you run it down in the sheave some but that defeats the purpose.

Ok guys thanks.....I had thought mr.sled used one on his vmax project sled back last summer, but was wondering if there's any performance gains over the stock set-up...that's all.
Can't wait to start the teardown soon.....

anybody want the widened 86' frame/chassis ??? I would love to trade it for something???? couple good side panels....i don't know. Not to that point yet I guess.

;)!

MSASRX said:
Ok guys thanks.....I had thought mr.sled used one on his vmax project sled back last summer, but was wondering if there's any performance gains over the stock set-up...that's all.
Can't wait to start the teardown soon.....

anybody want the widened 86' frame/chassis ??? I would love to trade it for something???? couple good side panels....i don't know. Not to that point yet I guess.

;)!

I did change to it, its just easier to tune. And you have to use a Dayco Max Belt.

I use one on my 86 and use a 1-3/8 inch wide 1105 polaris belt, it gives you a lower starting gear ratio and you have to have a primary that can be adjusted to the 1-3/8 inch width.

Back