SPL Viper pipes sea level jetting help, SRXspec-Wolfman or others

wolfman said:
Bushman,

Still running the Aaen with the bigbore, If so sounds like it is working nicelly. Whos BB is it yours or someone elses?

Wolfman

Yes still running the Aaen's with Olavs 778 kit, MrViper700's piston mod's, Hauck's Venom heads & set of used CPR carbs. Really kind of a mismatch of parts but could not be happier with the results.... Other than it can be a pain to hang on to @ times.

Edit Olav & MrViper700 (Don) was a huge help to myself on getting the sled running the way it does! Thanks Don.

I would like to use a quote from HAMMER if I may "He who is tuned for the days riding conditions Wins!
It is so true, so many including myself spend big money in mods only to have it wasted by over jetting to be safe. Some say one brand of pipe pulls harder & others say one brand of pipe runs better on the bigend. Jetting & primary weight placment effects both. Tune with wash & plug readings but only use EGT's to moniter what is going on inside the engine. I have seen well tuned engines run @ 1400* on the guage.

Last edited:

Good to hear. I have been running the Aaen for this season and I am pretty impressed with the way the run. Pulling the same clutching as the CPR pipes.

Matt here is a pic of the hook up, and the pulse is set at 6.

Bushman,

Wolfe Racing Chassis is my side business that I do. I use to race IMCA modifieds and stock car on dirt in WI, and IA, but stopped racing in 2000 and started building the cars instead of racing them. Sence then the cars I have built have won over 150 feature wins in 7 different states, 12 track championships, 3 WI state championships, and have been in the top 7 in IMCA national points with 3rd being the highest in the last 5 years. I do anything from simple cages to full rolling race chassis, bodys, interiors, suspension design, fab, and setup. Basically anything to do with a race car. Sorry if if I sound like I'm bragging, but I'm not. I'm very hummble and just proud of what I have acompleshed. It takes up alot of my time. Wife doesn't alway like it. By the way what does OT mean.

Wolfman

Sorry OT = off topic.

Sound Great & I am happy for you! Thanks for the info & keep up the good work. You guys have a lot of short tracks over in your area from what I catch on the TV race channels. We have a couple good tracks (Auto City & Berlin speedway) south of here in Michigan. Randy

Bushman,

No need to be sorry. I'm just a little slow on the abbreviations.

How does your jetting compare between stock vented to air box and bigbore non vented to the air box? I would assume that the bored carbs have srx specs in then instead of the viper specs.

Also do you notice any differents in EGT temps or MPG. Just thought that with the big bore and more torque you could load the clutches more and your crusing rpm would be lower and give you better mpg.

Pre BB I ran stock carbs other than 160 mains & a fuel screw a adjustment, Post BB with bored carbs venting to the airbox did not work. Even with 50 pilots I had a high idle hangup.

Running the carb vents unplugged from the T I used longer lines to get the vents under the motor. SRX nozzles & needles 45 pilots, .08 air jets, 152.5-153.?-152.5 mains & fuel screws anywhere from 1.5-2.5 turns depening on temp (Adjusted daily) Sorry but I cant remember what I have my needles set @.... I could go through my setup notes later.

I ended up gearing up on the top gear because of the 8-tooth drivers I am running & that is when the package clicked. The BB has more than enuff nutts on the lowend to pull you arns off even when geared taller...... I was asking around before I did the 778 & Marc from Redline Performance told me they will run against any sled up to 1000cc & not worry about losing & I believe it! Its hard to tell how many lenghts I pull the guys I ride with but the twin piped & ported 800's & F-7's are way back in 1000' & I always use less gas than then on the same ride.

The center cylinder is the one to keep a eye on when getting it dialed in.

Thanks Bushman. That 780 bigbore is looking better everyday. Might just have to get one.:ORC

Jay

I did the same geared taller because of the 8 tooth drivers neeeded by 1 1/4 studded track. Running 24/38 and I don't believe its fast enough because SRX can go by after I hit top speed. Anyone know if we can install a 25 tooth gear or am I buying lower gears. My 0-100 pulls SRX by many lengths and they have 1.0 tracks. As for fuel its not pretty. I run a tour buddy extra tank 2.5 gallons. 780 = Bored carbs all SRX brass unvented 152.5, 152.5, 155 mag - 4.5, 4.5, 5th - 52.5, 52.5, 55 mag. 2 1/2 turns on the screws. Feels fat.

Mac said:
I did the same geared taller because of the 8 tooth drivers neeeded by 1 1/4 studded track. Running 24/38 and I don't believe its fast enough because SRX can go by after I hit top speed. Anyone know if we can install a 25 tooth gear or am I buying lower gears. My 0-100 pulls SRX by many lengths and they have 1.0 tracks. As for fuel its not pretty. I run a tour buddy extra tank 2.5 gallons. 780 = Bored carbs all SRX brass unvented 152.5, 152.5, 155 mag - 4.5, 4.5, 5th - 52.5, 52.5, 55 mag. 2 1/2 turns on the screws. Feels fat.

First the SRX runs the ultimate top speed weight (Ask SRX102) If you run a weight with alot of bottom mass (Heel Clicker or Heavy Hitter) you are not going to have the top speed of the SRX but you will get 100 mph quicker.

I probably have as much time spent on clutch alignment as I do in the rest of the motor.... Lots to be gained there IMO.

I run V-3's with the airbox gutted & the top shelf looks like swiss cheese, I also ported the case while the engine was apart to help it breath.

You say it feels fat, I doubt my sled would even run with that large of a pilot jet..... but we are not running the same pipes. You got me stumped on that one! I think it would be a riot if we could get together for some tuning. Randy

Wolfman, how's it going? Do you still own two Vipers? If so ,are they both piped? Just curious. I think you need the big bore kit...LOL!!

Ooo it's going. Yep still have both Vipers. One piped and one that stays stock so I always have something to ride. Still have the SLP's and pick up a new set of Aaen pipes pretty cheap so I thought I would give them a try. Also went to Mega power head to. So far I'm liking the Aaens. Jetting is not to fussy and seems to pull the clutching I had for the CPR pipes. Also very quiet and light weight. PM me I you any questions.

P.S. stop tempting me on the big bore. Just what I need something else to screw with.

Wolfman

Last edited:
Just to add a wrinkle,I know someone(shop owner) that has a brand new set of Jaws Viper pipes still in the box. He hasn't had time to test them. You don't hear much about those being they are out of Canada. I heard one person on amsnow say he runs them in Ontario and loves them in the trails.

Journeyman,

You should give them a try. Your only at one strike. Still have 2 strikes left before your out. I have seen the Jaws pipes on there website saying that they held it wide open for 30 miles and it didn't burn down. According to M-Performance they make around 133-135 hp.

Hey, when are you guys going to Lake Gogebic this year? A friend of mine has a place in White Pine that I stay at. If it works out we my be able to meet up at the lake.

Wolfman

Back