Mountain Max- Advice needed.

CGC419

I have a 97 MT.Max that is pretty much stock. I have a few questions for the experts on here...
#1. When warming up the sled, for about the first 3-5 minutes the engine makes a slight knocking sound that then goes away completely once it is warmed up. It only makes the noise when I first start it. It sounds great once it's warm , no noise whatsoever, Is this normal?
#2. What kind of gas mileage should I be getting with the Mt.Max, I'm getting about 75 miles to a full tank down to empty when the warning light comes on. I think the tank is 10.5 or 11 gallons, so I figure I'm getteing about 7-8 miles per gallon. Should it be higher than this?
All replies appreciated.
#3. I am a light rider(160lbs) and I want some advice on getting more weight transfer to the track for more traction.(136" track). I have my rear shock on hard(setting 5), my front ski shocks on soft (setting 2 of 5), and my rear center shock medium/soft set on setting 3. The FRA adjuster is on hard(bottom setting).
I like the way it handles and takes the bumps,the set-in on front and rear is within specs, and I can turn it over/toss it around real good in the powder. But I can't get it to lift the skis or wheelie at all to save my life, I end up just spinning the track to about 70mph instead of getting traction when climbing or gunning it. Any advice for me ? I called MPI about the transfer kit and the said it is made for longer tracks like 151 and up and that it would not work good at all on my 136" mt.max because it would just want to wheelie everywhere and I wouldn't be able to keep the skis down.
Also, I haven't played with the limiter straps or the control rod adjustments at all.
Please give me input with any tips or answers you might have. Thanks...

anyone else have a knocking sound when revving the throttle while the engine is cold and warming up?
Or anyone know their gas mpg on their mt.max or what it should be?
tried the search...

that knocking could be piston slop...but I havent heard that since the mid 80 and that was when I didnt user OEM replacements.

If it is a 600 they do rattle a little. Mileage again if it is a 600 10-12 mpg. If it is a 700 then 13-17 is not uncommon with 15 being average. My had a MM600 2 cyl and I have MM700 and I always got better mileage. She now has a MM600 3cyl and we are about the same.

Back