SRX is fine. THought I'd try some 'other' letters

Sideshowrob

So in amongst all the other projects I don't have time for, it looks like I'm picking up a 1996 XLT. The sled is pretty much mint, brand new track, new bearings, new top end, yada, yada, yada. So here's the problem; the owner says it starts and runs great, but after 15-20 minutes (warmed up) it spews coolant out the top of the reservoir, and bogs badly. I'm thinking it might be a head gasket issue, judging by the looks of it. Any thoughts? Has anyone dealt with this with any other kind of sled?
I want to get this done quick, so I can get to some SRX attention.

Thanks for the help.

Rob

Could be a head gasket. Check your plugs to make sure they're not clean from coolant leaking by (Could be why it's bogging out). Check your heat exchangers to make sure they're hot. If not, maybe they're clogged up with crap? Water pump working? Check the belt to make sure it's in good shape. Start simple and go from there.
Just my .02

Yah, that was going to be my first stop. I asked if he cheaped out on a new gasket when I saw the orange gasket maker hanging out the sides. He said he just added it to be safe.
I was just hoping that's all it was, and not another 'common' XLT issue.
Thanks for the help guys.

Last edited:

Back