v. hard to pull Mtn Max

Hi, I've got a 99 Mountain Max 700 which ecame harder and harder to pull start last year, ran with quick start though but don't wanna use that. With all 3 plugs out pulls smoothly. Any plug in and resistance is high. Now taking top end apart and likely will get new rings. Cylinders look good. A couple questions for anyone who can help:

1. Do the oil drain holes have tiny spouts (which keep the ring gaps around the hole) or do I have serious caked on deposits.. I could try cleaning this out with a tiny drill bit or maybe a pin.

2. Does anyone know the specs for play in the connecting rod (big end). Have feeler gauge but no Clymer manual yet. Anyone think this could cause the resistance (i.e. worn bearings)?

Thanks for reading

E

Not sure about the oil drain holes you're talking about. PM me a valid email address and I can send you the portion of the factory manual with all of the tolerances for the crankshaft.

Similar issue with a 2001 MM700. Extremly hard to pull over cold. Fine once it is warm. Primary clutch seems to turn fine by hand. I think mine is a recoil issue

For some reason it seems to me 00 and older red heads had a smaller diameter recoil= harder to pull. The 01 may have an older model recoil on it. As far as the 99 that got gradually harder and oildrain nipples...No idea

My 01 used to be fairly easy to pull over. But like the other it suddenly started to get harder and harder. Almost kills you a -20C. Thought I was just getting old but I think something in the recoil is pooched.

Below 0 F, mine is a real pain in the arse if it sits overnight. Once warm, it's one easy pull. I don't pay attention to it anymore.

I have an 01 with the same problem. I read some were that it could be from to much oil, I know that my oil pump is set to high but have not had time to adjust it becuase of other things needing repair first, But I would like to try it. last year went to start it at about -20 and broke a good pull cord.

Thanks everyone, I finally ended up taking it to have a mechanic look at it, he didn't like the discoloration of some of the journals on the crankshaft so I bought one... now I'm tearing the whole crankshaft apart.

Back