round slide jet size

northerngn

Ok I just won a 44mm mikuni round slide for my SS440 on ebay.
Any idea on what jets to start with?
Motor is stock inside.
I will be porting/polishing intake and exhause sides...
-Dan

every motor is different but from experiance a good starting point would be
45 pilot air screw and 1turn
7dh2-3 needle
420 main
AA-5 tube and 1.5 or 2.0 C/A the motor will tell you what it wants

Yamaha Nutz said:
7dh2-3 needle
420 main

Just so I get the right parts and adjust right...

-45 pilot air screw size 45...then one turn out?

-7dh2 needle...clip on third spot in from the from the edge of the non taper side?

-420 main jet..no questions there..

-aa-5 tube and 1.5 or 2.0??? is this a needle and seat size and flow rating???

sorry still learning...
dennis kirk does not list them by those numbers...

for what its worth dennis kirk in 12 mile away and I'm getting all parts there...most parts i can find some i can't (because i dont understand yet)

THANKS!

ok pilot jet is 45 then the air screw 1turn out from seated
i did not include the needle and seat because it should have the std 1.5

as far as the tube it is called the needle jet and correct series is 224 size AA-5

yes needle in the middle (3rd) clip position

and i miss type the 1.5 or 2.0 that is the cut away or slide on a stock motor they like the 2.0 but if there is some work done they like 1.5 there is i fine line once there is motor work done ...............

Got sled running and and test drove around...throttle response is amazing and at full tilt it really screams (sled scared me first wide open hit) and it was the first time I have ever seen the needle pass 60mph ;)!
Going back out tomorrow with a couple sets of new plugs and will swap plugs and get some wot,and 50-75% throttle readings
Thanks for all the help you guys esp Yamaha Nutz

I'd like to add I had to change the throttle lever to one off a different model to get the carb to open all the way(needed more throw)...didn't happen with stock lever, used one off of a newer ski-doo :eek:

FWIW The carb has a 2.5 cut away and runs perfect at all positions which is great cause a new c/a costs more than what I paid for the carb LOL

-Dan

Spanked 2 different mid 90s polaris indy's last night like no ones business!
They both complimented me on how hard my sled leaves the hole!!!
the 44mm really helped a lot!
-Dan

glad to here .............round slides work way better than the butterfly carb ..........as far as the 2.5 slide like i said every motor is different you would not believe how much rich i had to go all the way arround on one of mine that has a good amout of motor work done to it ...........are you still running the stock air box ??

Did a WOT run till 65 mph and then killed it and checked plugs...just barely tan not enough color for me... going to jump to a 440 main and retest...Better rich than lean in my book!
-Dan

jetting for a 1975 433 GPX

Yamaha Nutz said:
7dh2-3 needle
420 main

Could you help with the jetting of a '75 433 GPX? I have Mikuni VM38's
I've been told to use the following for trail riding.
360 main
40 pilot
2.5 slide
6dh3 jet needle
Q-0 needle jet ( I have Q-2's) will they work?

Thanks, Greg

sgtobias said:
Could you help with the jetting of a '75 433 GPX? I have Mikuni VM38's
I've been told to use the following for trail riding.
360 main
40 pilot
2.5 slide
6dh3 jet needle
Q-0 needle jet ( I have Q-2's) will they work?

Thanks, Greg
what are you plans ..........ride or race ............ that is close to my specs but it will suffer in the midrange ............my stocker in 32degree weather with 38mm will have 290's for 500'drag but on a gpx rich is better to help keep the motor cooler as they will run hot as hell if running on the edge like mine do ............you will need a q-8 tube and 40 pilot is too m uch go to a 35 leave the main and test it

just wondering what type of 44mm mikuni did you use? i've got an 81 ss440 and am having carb issues and would rather go with a mikuni instead of the stock keihin carb.

The 40mm For A Ss440 The Ones Taht Will Get You The Closest For Set Up Would Be A Zr 700 Or Mxz 670 Or 617 Skidoo Carbs Brand New 44mm Will Also Come Set Up Really Close

this sucks!

OK the correct needle jet and jet needle showed up I installed them and the thing runs like *** backfiring in the exhaust and has a hard time getting to WOT
its a mess...If i nurse up to WOT and then pin it it rips for about a seconds then then bogs... I have tried main jets as low as 390 and as high as 440
There must be some sort of internal calibrations in the carb making it not cooperate with the rec needle jet and jet needle
Also have tried needle up and down from 3rd spot nothing...
Going to install the needle jet and jet needle that cam with this carb
I guess it's my fault...if i can get this sled to het 75mph should have prob left it alone

thanks for reading my rant... :o|

-Dan

Back