Need Exciter 440 Rods

CougarKiller

Hello Everyone,

I have a custom built golf cart with a 1980 Exciter 440 in... I rebuilt the motor before I transplanted it into my project but never did the bottom end. I put maybe 3-4 hours run time on it and in the my 1st outting to the dunes I fried the pullstart side cylinder and looks like it leaned out pretty bad. (suspecting it was the cranks seals) I used Wiesco Pro Lites when I rebuilt it last time (bored to 68.5, little clean up port work, running stock butterfly carb)

I have all factory yamaha crank seals and bearings ready to rock... What I can't find is a set of new Yamaha Rods. Can anybody recommend a place to find some?

Thanks for the help! Really like this motor as it has plenty of power for duning and from I have read they are bulletproof for the most part....

missed your call will give ya a ring when i have some free time .......phazer rods will work just fine .............been using them for a bunch of years now ............I am not a Wiseco fan unless it is the only thing available ..........IMHO if not set up right will casue more problems

Thanks Mike... I hear you are the man when it comes to these motors!

When my motor went it leaned out pretty bad and the Weisco held together but almost had a hole thru it, I'm guessing with a cast piston it would of been even a bigger mess in that bottom end... I have had Cast Yamaha pistons in my banshee for 7 seasons and it's still going strong... So my experience has been good with both styles of pistons.

Do you have a part number for the Phazer Rods you use? I also need the Crank Pins if you can recommend what to buy there... I have everything else to rebuild the crank and I'm dropping my cylinders off to go to 69mm here in the next day or 2...

Opsled also said you may have what I need to put electric start on this thing?

Thanks for the help! Here's my Golf Cart:

Attachments

• Ezgo Butternuts.jpg
    Ezgo Butternuts.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 3
  • exhaust side.jpg
    exhaust side.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Lean!.jpg
    Lean!.jpg
    210.7 KB · Views: 0
Also, I am running about 97 octane fuel... (100LL AV mixed 4-1 with 91 pump) I run this mix in banshee and my other 2 strokes

Do you know how to advance the timing a couple degrees on these motors?

what is the best time to call i have your number here ..........just be easier that way ..............let me do some measuring i may have the one crank pin here as the pto side pis is part of the crank web .............i think i have a crank apart if not i will split one quick just to make sure ...........we can talk about timing over the phone as there are 3 types of ignitions on these sleds ............i will see what i have for Estart stuff here I know it may be slim pickens but i will see what i have in the scrap yard yet

Are all the Phazer rods the same? I need to get them coming and they have em on Bike Bandit in stock for purdy cheap (i get good disco from them on factory parts)

New Years trip is coming up fast already... damn I gotta quit blowing up motors :ORC

I have a 79 exciter 440 engine i am putting in a buggy. I would like to put electric start on it also. What parts and from what type and year sled would i need to get the parts from? Any help you can give is appreciated.

neutroniens said:
I have a 79 exciter 440 engine i am putting in a buggy. I would like to put electric start on it also. What parts and from what type and year sled would i need to get the parts from? Any help you can give is appreciated.

Very hard to find parts. Were never offered on an Exciter. You would have to go back a few years and scrounge them off the early 70's sleds that used a similiar engine. Not many were ever made.

The EX 440 engine would not be one I would put in a buggy. ET 340 or Phazer 485 would be a much easier way to go. Both would be a much better option. Especially if you want E-start.

opsled

Back