'91 Phazer carbs

tririder

Hello all, I'm new to this forum and I'm a retired auto/ motorcycle/sled mechanic. I hope this is the right spot for a question about carbs on a '91 Phazer. I'm assisting my nephew prep his sled for the season and removed the carbs for cleaning (not separated). I don't know the history of this sled or how well or not well it was running but when operating the throttle the left carb butterfly opens 5 or 10 degrees past the level postion at WOT. At closed position they are approximately equal. As I mentioned I do not know if they ever had vacuum gauges on for balance but I certainly think there should not be any noticeable difference in WOT position. Any insight fellas ?
Tririder

Mine were the same way, I never worried about it. The much bigger challenge is keeping them clean and properly jetted. Jetting isn't too much of an issue as long as the engine is stock. If it has any mods at all (pipe, cold air kit, porting) ur gonna need to make sure that thing is properly jetted and run premium gas in it or ur gonna be buying pistons. Been there and done that more times than I care to admit.

you should also check if the up-date was done to the carbs to fix the lean midrange they had with the butterfly carbs.

not uncommon for those carbs to "unrack" themselves, or 'twist' on the bracketry.

if your not experiencing any running issues, dont give it a second thought. if the sled is running oddly, check the racking for square before hooking up the vacuum gauges.

Thanks a lot for the replies. I'll get back to the carbs shortly and do some more checking on the linkage especially. Any recommendations for brand of spray carb cleaner ? This sled is general for use, not raced, but where would find any info regarding the carb updates to cure lean mid-range?
Thanks again guys, I appreciate the info. Tririder

Wow ! What a terrific forum !! Thanks again for all the timely help. ;)! ;)!
The clutch / chaincase driveshaft is also being replaced so I'll let you know how we make out with carbs later. Tririder

Back