How do I fix this??

Waterfoul

Handle grip on my 97 VMax 600 came off tonight while trying to move my sled in the back of my truck (lucky it wasn't on a corner earlier in the night!). How do I fix it... grip needs to be replaced by the way, it's cracked on the end... the last inch or so is busted. It will slide right off the handle bar.

Mike

Attachments

• handlebars 004 (Medium).jpg
    handlebars 004 (Medium).jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Drill the old rivet out, pull it off completely clean any old glue residue off the bar with acetone or goo gone, gas or whatever let it dry then get some 3M spray adhesive and spray on the bar and inside the grip don't wait for it to get tacky like the can says or you will have a mutha of a time sliding it back on while doing this rotate it to a spot where there is still good rubber over the rivet hole. Use the corner of a razor blade or tip of a utility knife and cut a small x pushing the tip of the blade into the hole. Push a new rivet through pop it and your back in business.

I just put some hot grips on my 97 Vmax sx, and I put them on with 3M weatherstrip adhesive. It takes a little longer to dry, but they havn't moved a bit. Good luck

Buy a new grip from your dealer or from an after market seller, It will come with directions on how to install. Just make sure you use a good two part epoxy when installing. If you dont after a time the heat from the warmer will cause the grip to slip away or twist.

I am pretty sure the handlebars for those sleds were shorter in width and the part that breaks off is a little plastic piece. Not sure if you have to get those style grips or you can get others with that in there.

get the grip of choice and use a good epoxy and call it a day or use the adhesive of choice and reinstall the rivet. most household adhesives only work for a short time if you use the hot grip (heat breaks them down)

Back