electrical question

mack77

i have a 1999 sx 600 and i am having some issues with my heated shield hookup, i am hooked into my headlight which works fine but no heated shield. when i check voltage i am only getting about one volt on the volt meter but headlight is shining bright. is there a fuse box anywhere or any suggestions?

mack77 said:
i have a 1999 sx 600 and i am having some issues with my heated shield hookup, i am hooked into my headlight which works fine but no heated shield. when i check voltage i am only getting about one volt on the volt meter but headlight is shining bright. is there a fuse box anywhere or any suggestions?

I would suspect a poor connection where the heated shield wiring connects to the headlight wiring either the ground or power. With the shield plugged in, follow the wires back to where they connect to the sled wiring. If you have a poor connection you should feel some heat from the voltage drop across the connection or you may even see the problem. Things to look for are crimp type (I call 'em fire-cracker) butt splices, Scotch-lock (pierce type) connectors or a twisted and taped Rue Goldfarb (half @$$ed) wiring job. I'd bet you'll find Scotch-lock connectors which are easy to install (you don't have to cut into the sled wiring) but are not meant for external use.

Although unlikely, the poor connection could be in the plug itself. Checking voltage at the wires leading into the backside of the plug then the external side of the plug. They should match within a tenth of a volt.

If nothing jumps out at you - monitor the voltage at the plug while wiggling/tugging on the wires and look for changes in the voltage output. This should help narrow down the location of the voltage drop.

Back