79 440srx

killerblair13

hey guys i am looking for a solid clutch set up for my 79 440 srx. i am at 2500 ft. i am also interested in a comet clutch, wich one is my best option? is there anything a guy can do to the secondary? helix angles? springs? weights in the primary? any help would be great guys!!

Blair

I have heard of guys using a YVX clutch off the newer sleds SRX/Viper but had to remove the oil pump if it is in that location

Comet would be a way to go and have the set-up installed for your sled and riding

Not much tuning in the old stockers

No oil injection on a 79 so that's not an issue.

Most use a 102 Comet on them. Tuning parts and setups can be had and the 102 works great with the OEM secondary.

A 108 Comet can also be made to work but it's an overdrive clutch and the stock secondary is not. It's more horsing around and really not much of an advantage over the 102 unless you use an overdrive secondary.

The P-85 Polie clutch is also a great alternative. It is also an overdrive so you have the same issues as a 108 but once done it's a MUCH better clutch than a Comet and tuning parts are cheap.

I'm sure there are some gures here that will chime in and give some specifics.

My preferance would be the P-85. The stock secondary can be made to run with it and there are also jackshaft conversions out there to run an overdrive secondary too.

The stock clutch is good and can be dialed nice but wear parts are getting hard to come by these days.

opsled

what ever you primary choice may be comet polaris etc look for a set up of 39 -40 gram weights and a 140/300 primary spring like a team red or polaris black white .....yes the stock clutches work great (that is all i use) but like opsled said they are pricey to keep in good shape .........plus require a lot of maintance stock secondary with stock yellow spring set in the hole 3 a 120* twist this will be a goos starting point

and on the other had there is a lot of tunign to be had out of these old stockers just takes lots of time and $$$$$ if you are just trail riding then we do not need to worry about that

Back