Secondary Clutch Axial Play

jlacey

Hi I am new to sleds so this may be a dumb question but better to ask than not i figure. When I went out to ride today I lifted hood and added oil and did a quick look around for loose bolts and anything that might be broken. When I looked at my belt I notice that there was a large gap between my secondary clucth and the bolt that holds it on. I thought bolt was loose but it wasn't there are :?: several millimeters of axial play on my secondary clutch, is this normal? I went through my owners manual and a service manual I bought and there is no mention of secondary clutch axial play?? Thanks in advanced for your help.

Joe

2003 Viper ER ~2K miles

There are a couple trains of thought on secondary clutch side play.

-One is that you perfectly allign and fix the secondary clutch on the jackshaft with shims so the primary and secondary clutch line up so the belt is running true between the clutches thoughout its shift.

-The second is that you allow enough side play that the clutch can float on the jackshaft and find its own straight and true path between the two clutches.

Sounds like your sled is set up with the second train of thought...not a problem if its not wearing or flipping belts.

I subscribe to the second approach;

Bob

Back