98 VMAX Crossover

YamaChris

This is a little project I picked up last spring. It is an orphan Canadian 700 XT red head that had been neglected and needed a lot of help. Found its way through Michigan until it rested in the Minnesota garage in the first picture where I found it. It had a couple mice nests, some short travel parts thrown into front suspension somewhere along the way, slides were wore into rails, messed up W arm and leaking steel body shocks. Track was missing clips, worn studs with no protectors (not too much damage until I removed tank). Seat was ripped, steel skies were in bad shape. Plugged carbs, grip warmers not working, hole in dash...

Got a good deal on sled so I started looking for parts. Many on this site have helped out, especially BTV. Found a 1 1/2" almost new 136 Ripsaw locally. MPI rail extensions they still had in the bin, and homemade tunnel extension with stock rear heat exchanger and rear panel. LED motorcycle tail light mounted to tunnel. Except for the Boss seat, I didn't want to invest too much into it and wanted to leave the "patina" on it, so not too much polishing of anything. I did paint exhaust and front suspension parts. Everything else was function first, all KYB shocks (Viper front w/ springs, XTC? rear), drilled can, reed notches. It did have a Maxx clutch kit on it, so I was looking forward to seeing what the sum of the parts would be. Eggman had geared his VMAX down a tooth and his takeoff gear was one tooth down for mine so that went in to.

Found a NOS SX skidplate on EBay for cheap, so I heated it up to make room for the long travel. Power Madd riser with pivot is about 5 1/2", viper bars, braided brake line, Viper Mtn cables, parking brake removed. I wanted a warmer option for windshield so I got a high windshield from the site and still have the low one depending on where I am riding. Velcro canvas wind protectors work great for keeping hands warm on those really cold days. Found NOS windshield bag for next to nothing that I will put before trips.

Found Yamaha plastic take off skies for a 95 VMax we had so I could rob the C & A Razors for this project.

BTV sent me a Viper center spring I have to put it on yet.

Replaced speedo bearing, filter on top of airbox, cleaned up chaincase and new lube. New exhaust donuts, cleaned carbs, cleaned and greased almost everything.

Attachments

• Old sm.jpg
    Old sm.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 14
  • Front sm.jpg
    Front sm.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 20
  • Rear sm.jpg
    Rear sm.jpg
    123.4 KB · Views: 27

Ride report:

This is the most fun I have had on a Pro Action sled. It is soooo comfortable and took no time to get used to it. It feels right and is a riot! Standing up is no problem and is still comfortable sitting down. I was a little worried about how everything would come together, and I have been going for longer and longer rides. So far so good. I have some dialing in to do as it needs more ski pressure, but I have to put the center spring in first and do the BTV tuning.

Thanks for all the help from the site, just wanted to share some of the fun my son and I have had putting it together. Now for a season of riding with no issues!

I wish I would have had some more progress pics, maybe next time.

Thanks guys. It has been a fun project. I can't believe how great it rides in ditches and on trails so far. I know the Ripsaw is not the best deep snow, but it should do better than anything else I've had.

Eggman has a 700 Deluxe and it has been fun trading back and forth. We were surprised to feel the weight of the reverse and E start as much as we did on his. Yet the jokes on me when we have to turn around.

I always heard the Boss seats are great, I agree.

Back