1978 Yamaha Exciter - Black Hood Paint Code

Yamahasledder

Working on a project to restore a 1978 Exciter 440 hood and I am having trouble finding the right paint for the black portion of the hood. Can anyone direct me to a source for a paint that is a match to the original.

Thank you

I would go to a local body shop and have them pull their variant chips for a match. Most PPG shops will have these available. Also, a local automotive paint distributor should have them available as well. I would guess PPG 9700 black single/stage or base-clear should work pretty well.

Thank you. More so than the color black, I guess a better question would be what product most closely matches the original finish? It's not flat or gloss and based on wet sanding an area, it appears not to be clear coated.

The original black is a Semi-gloss black. I would go with Sikkens rallye black. It is a semi-gloss single stage and looks awesome when done. Get it at a Auto Body supply store that sells Sikkens. Jeff Wurl

Thank you Jeff. I will check it out. I tried some PPG semi-gloss but it still appears to be on the glossy side compared to the factory paint.

Yamahasledder said:
Thank you Jeff. I will check it out. I tried some PPG semi-gloss but it still appears to be on the glossy side compared to the factory paint.
i have used sem hotrod black its semi gloss satin works great and looks good.

Back