1981 SS440E Questions

dschutt

So ill start by saying that im new to the fourm and i thought it would be a good place to find some answers to a few questions. I bought a running 1984 SS440 for 10$ rode it a few times and fell in love with vintage sleds. Recently on craigslist i bought a 1981 SS440E for 100$ blown up but the sled in in mint condition. the guy owned it scince he was 14 he had the factory yamaha cover, all the paper work, and the original recipt. the track is like new. So i put the motor from the 84 into the 81 chassis. There are a few problems im having and cant figure out.

1. The low oil light comes on when you squeeze the brake lever. It does it weather your still or moving. The oil sensor works and there doesnt appear to be any damaged wiring.

2. The eccentric bearing on the secondary shaft keeps coming loose. I found a service manual for it and it says to tighten it with the special tool then tighten the set screw. How tight do you put it with the special tool?

Any help would be greatly appreciated Thank you, Dave

Attachments

• engine.jpg
    engine.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Hood side.jpg
    Hood side.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Sled.jpg
    Sled.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 7

Don't know about the Bearing,but yes the oil light should come on when you hit the brakes. That way you know the bulb is good. Don't want to run out of oil!

Mark

Back