yamaha sxr broken engine mount

roudyroy1

alright guys, so i just took the can off my sled to get it welded, and found 2 heads from a bolt rolling around. upon closer inspection i found out the bolts have sheared off on the clutch side. heres my problem, there still in there. do you think i could get them out? or a shop could? or is the block garbage? im scared i dont want to have to find a lower case :o| :o| any ideas on what to do next? i just got this sled not to long ago and was planning on ridding soon.

you are probaly gonna have to pull the motor if its a rear motor mount but it should come out pretty easy with chisel if it sticking out a little or drill a hole then use a easy out.
Sometimes they shock ya and come out easy.

If you don't feel comfortable drilling them out with left handed drill bits just about any machine shop should be able to get them out for you. Obviously you're going to have to remove the motor just so you can make sure you square up the drill/drill bit but they will likely come out easily.

Jeremy

thefindian said:
you are probaly gonna have to pull the motor if its a rear motor mount but it should come out pretty easy with chisel if it sticking out a little or drill a hole then use a easy out.
Sometimes they shock ya and come out easy.

okay, its a front one. its been like this for a while. so i hope it has rattled lose a little in the mean time. guess im going to the shop tommarow shop rates suckkk :o|

had 2 of mine break in the front mount on my SXR years back.Was a simple task.One was slightly sticking out and easy to grag.The other was flush but put my thumb against it and started to twist it off..was lucky I guess.

If they are not already loose, spray 'em down with penetrating oil and let it soak in for as long as you have available before trying to pull them out. If you have the facilities/tools/family/friends, try to pull them out yourself if you can, instead of taking to a shop, even if it means removing the engine.

Your title to this thread also indicates broken engine mount, is it just the bolts that are broke or do you also have a bad engine mount?

A real handy method if you have a welder.

Place a nut on top of the broken bolt. Weld in the center of the nut which bonds to the top of the broken bolt only. Super easy when the bolt in in aluminum. Use appropriate size wrench to remove. Most of the time they come out with out issue.

i had the same problem. one of the 12mm bolts snapped off inside the engine case by clutch. i had to remove the primary clutch and pull out the engine. you will need an easy out to get the broken bolts out. takes about two hours to do everything.

roudyroy1 said:
Is it fairly common for the bolts to snap on that side? What causes it to go?
engine twist under acceleration.That is why you should have a torque limiter on back of the motor clutch side.If you do,make sure clutches are aligned properly and adjust the torque adjuster against the motor.On my SRX for example,once I aligned the clutches,my limiter did not adjust fully to motor.So I drilled out the holes where the bolts go thru in the chasis and now have more movement to get the limiter snug.On both my sleds my clutch alignment has been good for 3 seasons now without adjusting,as long as the limiter is snugged tight so motor can't twist back.

bluemonster1 said:
engine twist under acceleration.That is why you should have a torque limiter on back of the motor clutch side.If you do,make sure clutches are aligned properly and adjust the torque adjuster against the motor.On my SRX for example,once I aligned the clutches,my limiter did not adjust fully to motor.So I drilled out the holes where the bolts go thru in the chasis and now have more movement to get the limiter snug.On both my sleds my clutch alignment has been good for 3 seasons now without adjusting,as long as the limiter is snugged tight so motor can't twist back.
do all sxr's have tourque limiters? where about are they? how do i adjust?

Last edited:
just look behind the motor right behind the clutch area..if you have one,it will be bolted on the side of frame..both my SXR and SRX have them.You have to make sure your clutches are aligned properly first and adjust the limiter against motor.Dhould be a dog bone looking thingie.

The dogbone is used on the srx/viper. On a sxr, it looks more like a giant rubber you use to wipe if you write something wrong with a pencil.

If you shear a bolt off and motor isn't sitting properly would it cause a misfire? As in put the crank "out of phase" cause no spark ?

Not normally - but it can cause the wiring to wear or pull apart in severe cases. For the misfire you'll want to start testing out your electrics.

Back